Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with plates

Help with plates

I was wondering if these plates on ebay sound like a bad idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/316L-stainle...ht_2320wt_1165

From what I research on here all the time, my gut is telling me yes.

If I was to get my own sheet metal(SS316Ga), do I blast both sides VERY lightly? If I can't get my hands on media blasting due to price, what is an alternative to media blasting?

Quote Originally Posted by j1walters View Post
    I was wondering if these plates on ebay sound like a bad idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/316L-stainle...ht_2320wt_1165

From what I research on here all the time, my gut is telling me yes.

If I was to get my own sheet metal(SS316Ga), do I blast both sides VERY lightly? If I can't get my hands on media blasting due to price, what is an alternative to media blasting?

If its really 316L that's really what you need for your plates. If you can't media blast, use a sanding block and 30 or 40 grit sandpaper. Sand in an X pattern then horizontal and finally up and down in the direction of the gas going out. And when I say sand I don't just mean a little bit, by the time you finish you should have removed the surface of the metal from the plate. I won't lie to you this will be a lot of work. This is not as good as media blasting but I understand the cost factor.

Remember to look up "Passivation", and weld-on through the forum search. These will help your process along while building your reactor.

I added some pics of some plates I had to sand before media blasting them. Don't take it as gospel, its just my experience with plate preparation.

Havens

Your plates

What are the rectangular holes for on the top and bottom of your plates? Also, what is an ideal size for plates? I am thinking of making mine rectangular with hho traveling the short distance upward and out the top.

Those plates came from a kit that I purchased before I found all the information here and i was working on improving the unit, please don't take them as a reference for your future build.

A rectangular setup would be best if you have the room, and I would size the plates for what you are needing production wise. Remember 1/2 Amp per sq. in of surface area, so if you need 1lpm you'll need 28 sq. in on side of one plate for a single stack. If you want to do two stacks you can cut that in half so your setup would be +nnnnn-nnnnn+.

If you have a way to cut slots for the gas-outlets at the top of the plate those are best, with an inlet hole that staggers from left to right near the lower part of the plate. You want as much distance between the inlet holes as you can with allowing your inlet hole to still be 1" away from your gaskets.

Make any sense?

Yes makes sense.

I planned on doing a 14 cell -nnnnnn+nnnnnn-. The only thing troubling me right now are the ports. When I place the input and exit port, do I have ports on both sides of the cell or just one? Should I have two barbs for input and two for exit? I know to keep ports an inch away from sides.

Lastly, in order for a great escape for hho out of the exit port, what kind of holes should be on the upper portion of the plates. I have seen some straight holes down the middle and three holes horizontally. Myoldyourgold stated in one post on reduceyourfuelbill.com to have slots instead of round holes. I am thinking of doing sideways slots (putting in a quarter sideways), but I wonder how big the slot and should I do three straight across the top of the cell.

Thanks for looking at my posts by the way.

Plates online

so your saying don't get the plates from ebay, but buy from online metal store and do my own sanding and passivation?

It doesn't matter where you get your plates from, just as long as they are 316L and the gauge you want to use. You can do your own prep once you have the metal.

As far as porting i have built a unit with slots at the top, but have more experience with units built with a hole at the bottom and hole at top. I haven't had a chance to test the slotted unit yet, but i'm sure that it will flow better as myoldyourgold has been at this quite a while and knows what he is doing. I used a 1/4" drill bit and a cut-off wheel from my slots, its not pretty but I think it will do the job. See the pic below, just don't look too close at how uneven the slots are.

Havens78, That is a very good plate design. You have done an excellent job!! Keep us posted on the final results.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

magnetize

Myoldyourgold, I saw your post talking about magnetizing could you explain how to magnitize? I have looked but have been left clueless.

Havens

Havens, I see you have cut corners. I read that the hho production is less effective when corners are cut. Do you know if it makes a diffence? Also about porting I am wondering about the barbed fitting. Do you have two for gas and two for water (one on each side) or what seems to be the best route?