Thread: Slotted design and a newbie question

Slotted design and a newbie question

Hi everyone ,this is my first post and I would like to thank you all for being so helpful as I build my first serious generator.

I am heading down the path of a slotted box design with no plate holes at all using a minifold on the top and bottom (diamond shape) .

I have a small cnc that will machine the perspex slots well .

Guidance of which is the right glue for perspex would be helpful if any body has needed to glue it .

One other question I have that has been very confusing to me in my search is why these calls are called dry cells ? They are wet and there can be a problem keeping them wet or so it would seem.

It might be a moot point and it may also be irrelevant to our quest but perhaps somebody with history ,and for historys sake might be able to clarify why the name dry cell was given to what is an enclosed plate , wet cell?

The only thing that I can figure is because you dont add water to the cell itself it aquired the name .

Any way thanks again and I will post some pics if this turns out practical.

Lindsay

A wet cell is a design in which the reactor is immersed in a container with water.

A dry cell is a design in which water and gas flow through the reactor, without escaping at the edges. The edges are sealed with gaskets.

Watch this video:

Wet Cell vs Dry Cell

The proper terminology is a Flow Through Series Reactor/Generator not dry cell. A reactor usually has many cells in series/parallel but will always have at least one anode and one cathode (1 cell two electrodes). The term cell actually means a pair of electrodes, an anode and cathode not a set of them in series or parallel! Unfortunately this has been misused over the years and has caused a lot of confusion. A reactor/generator can have many cells. You can see why it is easy to get confused. A wet reactor/cell is better called an Open Bath Reactor and is referring to at least one pair of electrodes, an anode and cathode but usually consists of many pairs, that sit in an open bath of electrolyte that is shared by all the cells and where all the edges are exposed to the electrolyte. Some of the current has the ability to skip from one end of a series set of anodes and cathodes to the other end skipping some of the plates/tubes in a series setup, loosing the advantage of a series reactor that uses the current over and over. Current travels on the edges easier and this only acerbates the current leakage where the electrodes are sitting totally exposed to all the electrolyte in an Open Bath Reactor.

Here are better terms in stead of Dry Cell and Wet Cell which really make make no or little sense.

Flow through series reactor/generator not Dry Cell
    Open bath series reactor/generator not Wet Cell

Now that I have confused you even more have fun.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Mygold;
    Good day sire and well put
    Its done right or its not done !
    Hail HHO.

Thanks Gentlemen

This might be fun
    I like "dry edged fuel burner"
    or "skeptik magnet"
    even " arrogance tester"
    better "ignorange blaster"
    how about " recirculating under bonnet fuel enhancer"
    But I suppose the "dry cell" will stick now ,unless some truly creative person come up with a new noun that sticks and is not as misleading .

bring it on guys !..oops im being sexist there are surely a few ladies here ,no offence intended

I like "skeptic magnet". LOL It is at least factual.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    I like "skeptic magnet". LOL It is at least factual.
    This is especially true once you get something installed and saving you money.