Thread: My First HHO Generator build

My First HHO Generator build

WARNING
    This is not intended to be a guide for building your own HHO device or ancillary equipment. The process to make these devices are dangerous as are the products they produce. If you wish to build one of these please note that YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

With that out of the way...

Hi everyone,

My oldest Son and I are embarking on building our first HHO Electrolyzer And I thought it might be a good idea to share the experience with you fine folks as well as let you kibitz on our ideas and decisions and even guide some of those decisions since this is a new area for us.

I am an old Electronics Tech from the Navy who spent alot of time in the machine shop aboard ship. Since then ('86 to '92) I've worn many hats. I have been complimented many times and in many ways that I have a very innovative and creative mind, which I have brought to the workplace and home. My son Jon is 21... nuff said? =D So, the building process isn't at all daunting.

After looking at all the designs and reviews of the different types of genny's out there, we decided to go with a 21 plate dry cell. We are on a very tight budget (read poor as heck) so the idea of bumping fuel mileage is a big draw.

Off topic - Please excuse the I/We use in here.... I'll interchange them as I'm typing and probably won't find all the grammatical errors in the edit.

First try at parts collecting was to make the "Smack's Wet Cell" since most of the materials could be gotten at the home improvement store. But, not being able to find non conductive threaded rod made that one not an option. So, it was back to the drawing board for build 1.1. Thats when We learned about the added benefits of dry cell design.

First decision was what to use for electrode and neutral plate material. 316 SS was what everyone suggested making them out of but the local cost was prohibitive. But we did find some 304 that we could afford. We got it all sliced up and should have had it drilled but thought to save on that by doing it ourselves. Bad idea...

Day 1 - Got plates, gasket material, nuts and bolts and fittings together. Went to Tap Plastics... the only acrylic dealer in my area that I know of, and after talking to the design person, was a little afraid that the HDPE or clear PVC would not be good materials since they are not very heat tolerant. I suggested that we might see temps as high as 150deg F and if there was any kind of thermal runaway, that would have been the weak point. Before you state the obvious, I was thinking what was everyone else using, but the other obstacle of price dissuaded me in the end. I've figured that if we cover the ends with gasket material anything that can handle the heat would be ok.

I also found out that lye (KOH) is no longer a common store shelf material (in CA and TX) since it is used in the ph balancing process of meth production. It is required that anyone selling it has to keep detailed records of purchasers here in California, Texas is the only other state in the US that requires this, and from what I understand for the same reasons. After posting here for the first time, and your gracious reply myoldyourgold, I found NaOH. Thank you Thank you, again!! The process of making your own lye was a very inretesting research project and I hope to do that too... but one thing at a time.

Till next post,
    Dad^3 & #1Son

Welcome to the Forum Dad...

We REALLY like photos... A LOT.

Jon will be happy to show you how to post them..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello and welcome !

I'm curious... why was it a bad idea to drill the holes yourselves ?