Thread: Plates and Solutions Ratio

Plates and Solutions Ratio

I was thinking about the size of my plates and the ratio to the volume of electrolyte in the cell.

Is there a "magic formula" that will help me get the best ratio and proportion results for production. After all, I dont want my plates sitting in an ocean of electrolyte nor have a drought in my cell. I also dont want to add to much or to little material to water in order to make my electrolyte.

Any suggestions?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

RMForbes Guest

Heat is our enemy

George,

I suggest as much electrolyte as your space will permit. The more electrolyte the better heat dispersion. You need enough electrolyte so that the fluid circulates freely, it will help knock bubbles off the plates to enhance gas production. To little electrolyte will become overheated and boil away.

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by computerclinic View Post
    I was thinking about the size of my plates and the ratio to the volume of electrolyte in the cell.

Is there a "magic formula" that will help me get the best ratio and proportion results for production. After all, I dont want my plates sitting in an ocean of electrolyte nor have a drought in my cell. I also dont want to add to much or to little material to water in order to make my electrolyte.

Any suggestions?
    There are two things about this that I want to mention.

1. Some builders completely submerge their plates. Here, the more water/chemicals the better. The tubular designs allow verticle water storage above the plates. This means you will not have to refill the system as often.
    2. Some builders choose NOT to completely submerge their plates. Here, the water level is critical. They believe(I don't know if it is true) that you get more HHO gas production with the tops of the plates above the bath.

BigTruck Guest
    I still need more clarity on this subject. I have been told that some plates will stop producing when the water drops below the top of the plates.

I'm also wondering how the volume of electrolyed water in the cell will effect electrical draw and HHO production. I think the volume of water verses cell volume has to have a major impact. But then I'm new and guessing.

dennis13030 Guest
    The main component of an HHO system is the electrolyzer. The electrolyzer is basically a box with water and metal plates in it. The conversion from H2O to HHO is done by passing electricity into a metal plate, through the water and into the other metal plate.

It is assumed that the more metal plate with the water will return more HHO gas production. Some believe that leaving the top edge of the plates exposed(in air/HHO) that you should get more HHO gas production.

I saw a video clip on the web where someone used a very small vile of water and put two wires(separated) into the water and connected them to a 9V battery. HHO was produced.

BigTruck Guest
    But what about current flow and heat. I would think that excess water could weaken current flow and draw. On the other hand, not enough water would result in over heating. The ratio has to be critical to production, regardless of cell size.

The forum seems to be focusing on cell design, but I'm thinking the cell design is just one factor to overall production.

Has any the guys with working cells experimented with water volume and compared results? I'm trying to decide on my container size and would apprecreate any feedback.

dennis13030 Guest
    BigTruck,

The parts that make up the electrolyzer have maximum operating temperature specs. What some people do is set the temperature of the electrolyzer by the amount of chemicals added. Just make sure that you run the unit for about 30 mins. for the max. temp. to settle.

The container is more a function of the application and the amount of gas production that is needed. Like for a car, a tube style design works fairly well. For a big truck, a fairly large box style maybe better(setup in the bed of the truck.