Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other fuel saving ideas?

djerickd Guest

Other fuel saving ideas?

we should have a forum for any other gas saving ideas like magnetic fuel savers, fuel heaters, additives, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by djerickd View Post
    we should have a forum for any other gas saving ideas like magnetic fuel savers, fuel heaters, additives, etc...
    I have not tried it yet, but I'm told that adding 3 oz Acetone, and 3 oz Xzylol to every ten gallons of gasoline, allows for more complete consumption of the fuel, and considerably increases MPG.

I have been told increases can range 10 to even 20%, and this can be done in addition to HHO.

sm0kin Guest
    I added acetone and xylol to my tank just before heading to florida for vacation. I have a chevy suburban and it holds about 40 gallons. i went from 11mpg to almost 13mpg. 2mpg increase but.......And I'm not saying the additions were to blame......50 miles out from the condo my transmission lost 3rd & 4th gear. I had to have it rebuilt for just under $2000. the mechanic said my transmission got to hot. Like i said i won't/can't say it was from the additions but i won't be doing it again.

Omega Guest
    Here's a way to save gas. Adjust your driving style.

Here's a list of things to do to improve mileage; http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php

The first 4 tips are kind of lame, but the others are mostly very good. I've achieved better mileage (so far) from driving style changes (hypermiling) than HHO.

My car's EPA rating is 29mpg HIGHWAY. I get 36.6mpg doing a mix of curvy hilly road, in town and some highway. On the highway, I'm sure I could get close to or right at 40mpg.

I'm working on maximum mileage with minimum modifications. Much better gas mileage is possible IF you adjust your attitude and work hard on technique. I hate to say it, but most people are too brain dead, lazy or uninterested to get better mileage. If you work at it, you'll astound yourself.

djerickd Guest
    thats true...on the other hand I do loooove modding

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Here's a way to save gas. Adjust your driving style.

Here's a list of things to do to improve mileage; http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php

The first 4 tips are kind of lame, but the others are mostly very good. I've achieved better mileage (so far) from driving style changes (hypermiling) than HHO.

My car's EPA rating is 29mpg HIGHWAY. I get 36.6mpg doing a mix of curvy hilly road, in town and some highway. On the highway, I'm sure I could get close to or right at 40mpg.

I'm working on maximum mileage with minimum modifications. Much better gas mileage is possible IF you adjust your attitude and work hard on technique. I hate to say it, but most people are too brain dead, lazy or uninterested to get better mileage. If you work at it, you'll astound yourself.
    I would like to add to this list... Where you fill up makes a huge difference on fuel economy. For instance on my 2003 Saturn VUE, if I fill up at my local Chevron I get the average fuel economy as posted by the EPA (17/23). If I fill up at the local Shell station, I get slightly better MPG (19/25). If however, I fill up at the local quick-mart, I get a whopping 12/15 MPG.

Now I am not saying that everybody should fill up at Shell. But you should do mileage comparisons with different fuel stations to see which is better. Just because you save a few cents on a gallon of gas doesn't mean that you are saving money.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

HHO nutt Guest

Cool found this here for more fuel saving

Hi,
    I found out about this stuff.
    You add some to your tank and increase mpg as much as you might know from hydrogen boosters etc. without a worry about installing crazy things.
    I ordered the stuff and will update if it works. I think it would be cool to get about 25% more mpg without all the husstle from installations in my car.
    http://www.hydrotuning.bitronglobal.com

http://www.hydrotuning.bitronglobal.com

I will post the results asap.
    Nutt

Water-Methanol injection

Qhack! I wonder if the reason you are getting such a mileage difference is the difference in the pump itself. I would imagine that every pump has a different place where it clicks off to say it's full.
    I read about a suggestion for electric cars saying if you get low rolling resistance tires they can improve range by 50%. I would imagine you may see a difference on out ICE motors as well. I have been wanting to try for a while but no time and no money seem to be a problem of mine.

first time I tried Acetone I got 500 miles out of my tank (15 gal).
    Normally I get 25-27mpg highway, but that week I traveled from Colorado Springs to Denver and back almost a dozen times. So I was getting about 34mpg.

After that one time I never got the same results, even when going on the same trip weeks later with the same ratio of Acetone to Gas.

Now it doesn't do me much good at all, in-town I get less MPG than without acetone, so it only does me good on highway and even then only by 1 or 2 mpg that I can tell.