Thread: JOINING OF Stainless steel and COPPER

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JOINING OF Stainless steel and COPPER

Hi Guys/Girl

This is my first post here, I have been researching HHO for about 2 months now. I have a new cell design that Is currently in my head and on paper but one of the big issues I have was with joining SS316L and Copper. the next question I need to answer is what resistance this will cause for the flow of electricity.

I hope to share my new Cell design in the next few months with you guys.

Here is the artical I thought could help.

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechnique....6/palmer.html

Bill

Joining dissimilar metals.

Quote Originally Posted by discreet_suffolk View Post
    Hi Guys/Girl

This is my first post here, I have been researching HHO for about 2 months now. I have a new cell design that Is currently in my head and on paper but one of the big issues I have was with joining SS316L and Copper. the next question I need to answer is what resistance this will cause for the flow of electricity.

I hope to share my new Cell design in the next few months with you guys.

Here is the artical I thought could help.

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechnique....6/palmer.html

Bill
    Welcome Bill.

Clamp connections will provide adequate electrical contact for the flow of current ( nut & bolt ). If you have to join copper and 304L stainless, you can use a silver solder. However, due to the difference in electrical activity, there can be significant corrosion between the two metals especially if the joint is in the electrolyte bath.

I prefer to TIG weld 304L leaders to the power plates and complete the electrical connection with standard connections.

I was looking at copper plate clad with 316L. My design will not use bolts through the plates.

I am working on the final prototype dimentions now, but it can become costly to build. I am planning 7 plates with no neutral plates. Right now the costed BOM for 1 + and - Cell cost is listed below. My design in my head and paper cost me nothing.

QTY 2 - Copper 110 1/8-1/4 HARD Plate 0.25" Cut to: 4" x 4" - $23,52 (for the 2)
    QTY 2 - Stainless T-316/316L Annealed HRAP Plate 0.1875" Cut to: 4" x 4" - $15.68(for the 2)