Thread: Does the Jeep Liberty 2006 CRD is a good candidate for HHO ?

Question Does the Jeep Liberty 2006 CRD is a good candidate for HHO ?

Hi,

I would have an opportunity to buy a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport.

V4 Turbocompressed 2.8 liters diesel engine
    160 hp at 3800 rpm
    16 valves
    127 000 km

I don't know how many and which O2 sensor it's, also if it's MAP or MAF sensor.

I would like to know your experiences as if this model would be a good candidate for installing a HHO and water injection (perhaps even Straight Wasted Oil or Biodesel from wasted oil vegetal but someone said that Common Rail Diesel is not designed for this) ?

About how saving can I expect? I think the fuel consumption of the vehicle is estimated at 21 MPG (US) / 11 l/100km on highway , not sure abour that...

Thank you for sharing your experience with this type of car

Regards
    Remi
    Civic Si 4 doors 2004, 1.7 liters V-TEC
    5N2 reactor
    CCPWM @ 7 amp
    1 Gal Capacity
    ~2% NaOH
    Waterless Peat Moss Bubbler

Good find.

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
    Hi,

I would have an opportunity to buy a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport.

V4 Turbocompressed 2.8 liters diesel engine
    160 hp at 3800 rpm
    16 valves
    127 000 km

I don't know how many and which O2 sensor it's, also if it's MAP or MAF sensor.

I would like to know your experiences as if this model would be a good candidate for installing a HHO and water injection (perhaps even Straight Wasted Oil or Biodesel from wasted oil vegetal but someone said that Common Rail Diesel is not designed for this) ?

About how saving can I expect? I think the fuel consumption of the vehicle is estimated at 21 MPG (US) / 11 l/100km on highway , not sure abour that...

Thank you for sharing your experience with this type of car

Regards
    Remi
    I would buy it if I had the opportunity.

I believe Jeep used a version of the VW TDI. I will have to look that up. My wife has a Dodge Caliber SRT and the diesel was an option in Canada and Overseas. The manual indicates it is a VW derived diesel. As I understand it, the Liberty and Caliber SUV's roll off the same production line and share structural components.

You are correct that the common rail diesels will be damaged by WVO fuels and such. Certified bio-diesel mixes in warm weather should be OK. But I personally wouldn't chance it. Just try to increase the mileage with the addition of HHO and other economy tricks.

I can't get to the manual at this location as it resides in a PDF on a secure server at work. I'll look at it later this week and get back to you.

It looks like this would be a good diesel to augment with HHO.

The engine should be the VW derived diesel which has multiple injection events including a pre-injection which can be the key to these diesels augmentation.

Look at the work Koya has done on his late model Cummins diesel. That would be a good parallel.

The diesel in the Jeep Liberty is Made by Motori S.P. A. It is the VM Motori R425. Sweet Italian engine but comes with its own challenges just like any other. It is not compliant with all states smog!!

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=10
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

You are correct MyOld.

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    The diesel in the Jeep Liberty is Made by Motori S.P. A. It is the VM Motori R425. Sweet Italian engine but comes with its own challenges just like any other. It is not compliant with all states smog!!

http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=10
    It looks like it is a modern common rail design with a sweet variable vane turbo. The multiple injection sequence I am not so sure about.