Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How thick should the stainless be?

h-power Guest

Ronjinsan

Do you have info on current draw and production rate of your unit? Have you any temp readings after one or two hours of run time? I have found that the original units that I made needed a cooling system to stabilize temp and current draw. This new cell runs very cool in comparison and I will be trying it without a cooling system.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Just changed to a new enclosure will give you some results at the weekend....dont tell me, you eventually put some neutrals in didnt you??
    12-15 amps...but alas I dont test the gas out very often any more, with the vacuum attached it produces plenty!

h-power Guest

production rate

measuring rate at STP is easy, how do you measure it with manifold vacuum? What percent increase would you estimate production to be under 20 inches of vacuum typical of manifold vac?
    Yes I did add 8 neutrals this time around. Amazing the increase in production with a decrease in amp draw and heat.

My new cell design is producing roughly 35ml/amp. At 20amps she is producing 700ml/min with minimal heat, very exciting!!

Ronjinsan Guest
    Wow thats great....I am very pleased that its working well for you....My present unit is kicking about 1ltr per min but I attribute the lack of heat to being plugged into the manifold vacuum. I think mine pulls about 18 inches or so, although I havent been able to devise a way to measure it yet, the increase is really impressive. Do me a favour and (if your container can take it) try plugging your bubbler straight to the vacuum! You will be very surprised at the results. Only problem is you need a largeish bubbler and a one way valve between it and the gen to stop backflow of water on deceleration! So, are you running +nnnn-nnnn+ now H? Do you have PWM? If so is it worth it? Cheers

h-power Guest
    PWM?? what's that?? I'm gonna do as you suggest and try direct to manifold vacuum. My truck has an extra capped off port right at the brake power booster. I'll try it there. I don't understand about the back flow valve. Manifold vacuum is always present while the engine is running. Sure it rises and falls but it's always there. How does backing off the gas pedal create a problem? That's when manifold vacuum is the highest, maybe 22 inches.

Plate arrangment is +nnnn--nnnn+

Ronjinsan Guest
    There is a back rush at times and if you dont have a big enough bubbler or a one way valve the water gets sucked into the generator! Yeah I know I didnt believe it either until I tried it! You will see when you attach your vacuum pipe H its real violent! Regards Oh by the way, why did you waste a plate in the middle?

h-power Guest
    Had to, it's a modified Smack. In order to get the neg line into the middle you need more than 1.5mm separation. The extra neg plate takes care of that.
    I'm not using a bubbler. Don't really see a need for one. I tried lighting off the h in the generator chamber and the resulting pop was not a big deal. It didn't even blow off the hose. If that's the worst it can get there's no worry.

jared Guest
    i was trying to use 26 gauge at about 4'x6' and had a lot of trouble warping my plates beyond practical use

i only have tin snips to cut with and a cordless drill with a few bits and taps

ive just been using 1/4' allthread and cap bolts, any way ive pretty much given up because my production is pathetic and i have had a lot of trouble with dead shorts

i was trying to use fiberglass window screen as a spacer, figured that would be my closest spacing but ive not been able to get it to work once so had to use some thick rubber like3/16" not really ideal

ron could you point me in the right direction?