Thread: Help with my dry cell

Question Help with my dry cell

Hi I'm mike, I've been investigating about HHO a little more than 2 years, well, only on vacations (I am studying Engineering in mechatronics), I built a wet cell and made some experiments with it. After that, I built a dry cell (almost 100 plates 6" x 4", two stakes) . I built it with a very poor knowledge about the matter, I thought that the biggest cell = more gas = the better for my engine. Also I didn't knew anything about how to hook the cell (how many neutrals and what voltage). Well I think I spent a lot of money, although I learn a lot of things from my experiments, I could have saved a lot of money if I would have read more from this forum.

Now I want to build a new dry, but now I think I have read enough and have the knowledge to do it . I still have some doubts and I was wondering If you could help me find the answer.

This is what I know (I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am)

1. HHO helps to have more MPG. I'm not sure why but I've read that HHO makes the gasoline will burn with a higher efficiency.
    2. Every engine needs a specific amount of HHO to reach the highest possible gains in MPG
    3. I have to make my cell the efficient as possible.
    4. Efficiency is measured in MMW (milliliters per minute per watt) but the maximum MMW possible may vary due to the temperature and pressure of the HHO.

These are my doubts:

1. Which electrolyte is better, NaOH or KOH?
    2. I read that the best materials for the electrodes were SS 316L or nickel, I know that nickel is more expensive, but it worth it ?
    3. In my previous dry cell I crossed hatched my plates, but I want the most efficient dry cell, should I get them sandblasted, or it isn't necessary?
    4. Theoretically the minimum voltage to start electrolysis is 1.23 V, but this is ideal, so I was wondering if the distance between the electrodes may affect this, the closer they are the less voltage is needed, so better efficiency. But there is also the matter of circulation of the electrolyte and the gas, so what distance would you recommend?
    5. From where comes the rule of the amps/in^2 ?
    6. Which materrial for the gaskets is best, EPDM, HDPE or other?
    7. I've read some ideas to increase MMW but I haven't found someone who has test it, have you?

Well thanks for your help, I hope I am not a nuisance but I want to make the less possible mistakes, I don't want to spend more money than the necessary Thanks!

Mike,
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/hhoconnection

Mike has several videos on HHO and it should help in answering a lot of your questions.

Thanks Bhart, I have watched them, I found them very interesting specially the ones on this thread: http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=7380, but most of the answers for my questions aren't there. I hope someone has them, other way I will have to make experiments for myself.

mikes videos were useful among others but it seems there hasnt been any advances in the technology. Its everyone making the same thing over and over. in different designs but same methods applied.

Quote Originally Posted by mike915 View Post
    Thanks Bhart, I have watched them, I found them very interesting specially the ones on this thread: http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=7380, but most of the answers for my questions aren't there. I hope someone has them, other way I will have to make experiments for myself.
    Mike,

I will try to answer your questions with my own experience or what I have researched.

Either electrolyte will work, I use the KOH as I can get it at Ace Hardware as LYE.

As far as cost is concerned go with the SS 316L

Do the sand blasting (do not use glass beads) You will need to get an aggressive surface because to get the cell as efficient as possible you will need to coat your ports with Weld-on 16 to prevent voltage loss. Weld-on 16 won't stick unless it is sand blasted.

The goal to you generator is to have 2 volts per cell, more volts will result in higher temps and lower volts will result in lower output. I have made a generator with the following combinations with great results +nnnnn- 6 cell
    at 2 volts per cell at 12 volts or 2.3 volts at 13.7 volts (output of alternator when engine running)

Maximum amps is .5 amps per square inch of one side of one plate per stack. Example 4"x5" plate =20 square inches. Therefore 20/.5= 10maximum amps per stack. So if you have a generator with three stacks of 7 plates (4"x5") your maximum amps would be 30amps.

EPDM or neoprene gasket material will work fine. if the cell active sq" is less than 20 sq" use 1/16" gasket if over 20 sq" use a 1/8" gasket.

I have no experience or have read anything about heating the electrolyte

From HYDRO STEVE:
    For what it's worth, I've found it advantageous to feed both my positive and negative plates on opposing corners. Stainless steel is not that good at conducting electricity and I find the double connection to provide a better current distribution across the plates. I am basing that on the way used plate look. Of course my plates are larger than many are, so it may not be that important on smaller plates.

The smaller the plate the less amps means less production of HHO. Best to use a rectangular shape (wider than tall) vs square shaped generator.

Many of the answers I have given you can be credited to MyGoldYourOld and his continuing contributions to the forums. Look up his name under members and research his postings.

Hope this helps, good luck and be safe.

B.Hart

Bhart,

thanks for taking the time to respond... I decided going with an unipoloar design, I have a diesel engine used for pumping water for irrigation, 4 cilinders and very old, I was wondering if I have to take into account something special for a diesel engine or if its the same that with the gasoline ones...
    I have found a little information about HHO on diesels but not much...

Quote Originally Posted by mike915 View Post
    Bhart,

thanks for taking the time to respond... I decided going with an unipoloar design, I have a diesel engine used for pumping water for irrigation, 4 cilinders and very old, I was wondering if I have to take into account something special for a diesel engine or if its the same that with the gasoline ones...
    I have found a little information about HHO on diesels but not much...
    If your diesel is indirect injection you will do a lot more fine tuning: IP timing and increasing fuel. Yes, you will need to increase fuel in order to see gain. If you have a turbo you need to induce the HHO post turbo. Also, look into Waste Motor oil as an alternative fuel and water injection. With these three elements that engine will come to life and very little fuel consumption.

Also, find a way to pressure feed the HHO. The pressure created from the reactor is good but it is better if it is being sprayed in.

For even more, and immediate savings, look at the thread in the link below. The yield was about 60%, since the pump was left operating at a constant speed.

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-Hyd...System?page=81

Installation, parts, and setup are as simple as can be, so there is nothing to lose. Enjoy!