Thread: My first HHO Dry cell, hoping for some good results

Smile My first HHO Dry cell, hoping for some good results

Hi everyone, I have started work on my first dry cell. I got my plates in today and since work was slow I had a lot of time to work on my hho dry cell. I am a “small engine & OPE technician”. Thats just a fancy way of saying I work on lawn mowers and outdoor power equipment. I work out of a shed in my backyard for now, till I can save enough to build a shop. Anyway you'd much rather hear about my dry cell so hear it is.

I have 7x 6” x 6” 316ss plates, I have drilled my holes to 13/32” I was going to go to 1/2” but my next couple of drill bits were dull, so I stopped there. Should I go larger or is that big enough? Next step is to clean them real well, I'm going to ask mom if I can throw them in the dishwasher, got my fingers crossed on that one
    I have my lower water flow holes staggered so that first plates hole is on the right, next plate is on the left etc....

I wasn't sure what thickness my end plate should be so I went with 3/4” thick polypropelene, I just wanted to be sure that it did not flex on me. But I am thinking I might could use 1/2” next time, any thoughts here?

I have 12x bolts that will sandwich everything together. I like the look of the clear ends, but I heard about someone cracking there acrylic endplates so I went with Polypropelene,
    anybody used acrylic and what thickness? I am thinking of putting a window in one of my endplates to monitor water levels.

Oh and I am going to coat the holes with something to insulate against current leakage, not sure what I will use yet, maybe rtv silicone, weld on16, it looks like it is going to be a rather messy business. Any thoughts here?

I was also thinking that I should probably keep the water level below the 3 top gas outlet holes in my plates to prevent current leakage, I originally planned to just fill it all the way up. I will run some tests once I get it going and see if there is any difference in current draw between all the way full and filling just below the holes.

I will be using Koya's waterless bubbler to filter water vapor and electrolyte out from the gas, and I will use a water bubbler as my flashback arrestor. Thinking of also using a pop valve somewhere.

And now here are some pictures.

Update: Mom let me put the plates in the dishwasher, after taking them out I washed the plates again with dishsoap, and after I removed them from the disheasher I washed them with filtered water to remove any clorhine and junk from the tap water. I have my orings made and end pieces cut, and prots drilled and tapped. I also made a waterless bubbler to filter the gas (Thanks to Koya). Pics coming soon.

what are you planning on useing that hho generator for?

I plan on installing it in my ATV.
    I don't think I like that tone, it seems to say that I messed something up. Am I right?

i was just curious since you mentioned that you work on small engines. ive been thinking about makeing an hho powered go kart with an old rototiller engine i have kicking around. i have no idea if you did anything wrong, ive never made a dry cell.

Oh, I see, glad to hear that. I was afraid I messed something up. I am new to hho and only built 1 wet cell so far.

Sounds like a good project, although I don't know how much hho you need to run a 5hp or so engine, probably a good bit. I did manage to run a leaf blower on hho till it sucked some water from my bubbler into the engine.