Well, for me, I just use an OpenPort 2.0 to put a custom tune on. Pretty easy since its a Subaru.. As far as ECU tech is concerned now is a great time to get open source hardware such as Raspberry Pi and others to take care of everything else such as sensor tweaking and PWM. You would want to have your ECU chipped for most makes. My previous Subaru yielded reasonable gains and better in-town drivability with what I would consider a sub-par HOD system mounted in the trunk WITHOUT modifying the OTS Stage 2 maps. What worked best? Resetting the ECU after the install and following ECU quick learning procedure after the car was at normal operating temps >=180 F. And no, there is no standard procedure across the makes. Each make has its own procedure and I imagine each procedure could very well yield different results.

There is not an off the shelf hardware/software combo for sale that I know of. I can assure you that the hardware and programming languages to build such a unit indeed is. Takes time, dedication and know-how.. We are all tweakers here when it comes to building and exploring this technology.