Thread: 1968 Pontiac GTO ?

1968 Pontiac GTO ?

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to these forums. I joined because I wanted to get some general knowhow on the whole HHO deal. I have a pretty decent general idea of how it works, but get completely lost when it comes to all the electrical readings and tests. I have not attempted to build any sort of HHO unit(sorry if this is incorrect/ignorant terminology) but would really like to give it a go and install one in my fathers goat(I would hope that this would go without saying, but "the goat" is a nickname given to the GTO...just thought I'd make that clear )

Now before anyone starts in on me...YES I have done research, and YES I did use the search option on this forum. I am looking for some good, general guidance from someone with experience though, as it seems that many sources of information on this topic offer differing opinions of what works best as far as electrical current/amperage/blah blah blah. "Oh well why don't you just read through one of those tutorials you've found and just run with it?"....quite simply because I don't want to blow up my dad's dream car hahaha...

I figured that this car would be an absolutely PERFECT candidate for this kind of project, seeing as how it packs a pretty healthy Pontiac 400 V8 under the hood, 4 speed stick shift, and get's about ehhhh 12mpg on a good day(and that's when you're not jammin your foot into it which, trust me, is quite hard to resist doing ) PLUS the engine compartment on older cars like this are quite "empty", with tons of extra room in them to install, oh, say an HHO cell! All it's really got is the basics; engine/carburetor, battery, master cylinder, water pump, radiator, etc. None of the modern day computers and wiring that go along with them, no silly front wheel drive shafts/sideways automatic transmissions...

SO, any advice on where to start, or any links to some known good tutorials, etc would be greatly appreciated. If pictures of the engine compartment or whatever are desired, it's no problem, I can post as many as you guys need.
    Just lookin to help my dad save a few bucks when taking this gas hog out for a day at the beach(not to mention, cutting down on the LOADS of harmful emmisions that I'm sure this thing spews out of the tailpipes).

Thanks everyone!

Hi please somebody answer to this topic my project is like that and i realy need some help

Hiya faryspeed, what kinda project are you working on? I saw in your other post that you've got a motorcycle you're trying to run on HHO. I've got a 1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian that I'd be very interested in integrating the HHO technology into, just not sure where I would mount any of the necessary equipment seeing as how it's quite the "tightly packed" bike, meaning that theres not too many spaces left empty on the bike. Not sure what the alternator produces, but seeing as how it is a four cylinder bike I would think that it would be a bit more productive than the single cylinder 125s, but I'm really not totally sure, it's just an un-educated guess. I've also got a 1980 Kawasaki KL250 enduro that could surely benefit from this wonder gas.

Hopefully someone will reply to this thread, even if it's just a link to a good tutorial/"where to start"/a broad, general idea of how this all works. Anything is appreciated guys. I just need a starting point, mainly with how to figure out the electrical readings/testing, etc.

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by dhoward455 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm brand new to these forums. I joined because I wanted to get some general knowhow on the whole HHO deal. I have a pretty decent general idea of how it works, but get completely lost when it comes to all the electrical readings and tests. I have not attempted to build any sort of HHO unit(sorry if this is incorrect/ignorant terminology) but would really like to give it a go and install one in my fathers goat(I would hope that this would go without saying, but "the goat" is a nickname given to the GTO...just thought I'd make that clear )

Now before anyone starts in on me...YES I have done research, and YES I did use the search option on this forum. I am looking for some good, general guidance from someone with experience though, as it seems that many sources of information on this topic offer differing opinions of what works best as far as electrical current/amperage/blah blah blah. "Oh well why don't you just read through one of those tutorials you've found and just run with it?"....quite simply because I don't want to blow up my dad's dream car hahaha...

I figured that this car would be an absolutely PERFECT candidate for this kind of project, seeing as how it packs a pretty healthy Pontiac 400 V8 under the hood, 4 speed stick shift, and get's about ehhhh 12mpg on a good day(and that's when you're not jammin your foot into it which, trust me, is quite hard to resist doing ) PLUS the engine compartment on older cars like this are quite "empty", with tons of extra room in them to install, oh, say an HHO cell! All it's really got is the basics; engine/carburetor, battery, master cylinder, water pump, radiator, etc. None of the modern day computers and wiring that go along with them, no silly front wheel drive shafts/sideways automatic transmissions...

SO, any advice on where to start, or any links to some known good tutorials, etc would be greatly appreciated. If pictures of the engine compartment or whatever are desired, it's no problem, I can post as many as you guys need.
    Just lookin to help my dad save a few bucks when taking this gas hog out for a day at the beach(not to mention, cutting down on the LOADS of harmful emmisions that I'm sure this thing spews out of the tailpipes).

Thanks everyone!
    Several things I can offer you:
    You better know your timing: initial, vacuum, mechanical and ALL IN.
    If you don't know your timing, I recommend you get familiar with it before inducing HHO. With the HHO being induced without any adjestment you will induce heat to the engine.

So do you know where to induce the HHO on your aircleaner.

It is not ideal to have the "cell in the engine bay.

You need to have a large capacity reservior.

Then you better have patient with your car: because as you produce close to the .5 of HHO per 1 liter of displacement you need to adjust timing accordingly. Oh yeah, with carbs you might see the gain. That is if you don't get carried away with the extra response the car will experienced. When you finally get to the sweet spot, you need to re-jet the carb for the amount of HHO you are inducing.

I am inducing HHO in my 72 LT1 for perfomance reason and yes I see a 15% increase.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoward455 View Post
    Hiya faryspeed, what kinda project are you working on? I saw in your other post that you've got a motorcycle you're trying to run on HHO. I've got a 1986 Yamaha YX600 Radian that I'd be very interested in integrating the HHO technology into, just not sure where I would mount any of the necessary equipment seeing as how it's quite the "tightly packed" bike, meaning that theres not too many spaces left empty on the bike. Not sure what the alternator produces, but seeing as how it is a four cylinder bike I would think that it would be a bit more productive than the single cylinder 125s, but I'm really not totally sure, it's just an un-educated guess. I've also got a 1980 Kawasaki KL250 enduro that could surely benefit from this wonder gas.

Hopefully someone will reply to this thread, even if it's just a link to a good tutorial/"where to start"/a broad, general idea of how this all works. Anything is appreciated guys. I just need a starting point, mainly with how to figure out the electrical readings/testing, etc.

Thanks everyone
    Inducing HHO to your bike will revived it, all you need is a small dry cell, the larger the reservior capacity the better, waterless bubbler, and a small vacuum pump. I have such system installed on my 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, these engine are known for running hot, mine runs cool, great accel and 50+ mpg. Since this is the first year Harley installed O2 system, I can schedule fuel as I see fit or take some away. With carbs all you can look for it better performance unless you are well verse in re-jetting your carb.