Thread: Strange things with my new dry cell

Strange things with my new dry cell

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum, so please excuse me for my mistakes.
    Ive been investigating in H2 production for a long time, and finally decided to make my own DRY cell.
    And here it is :

Now ive been making tests on it this week, and i get pretty strange results.
    I am using NaOH for the electrolyte.
    Cell consists of 7 cells, but it doesnt work ! IT only works when i connect it to the 6`th electrode, plus, i incresed the NaOH, but that didnt seem to change anything, so i am confused now.
    What am i doing worng ?

Try using a 20 percent by weight sodium hydroxide to distilled water, that should get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum, so please excuse me for my mistakes.
    Ive been investigating in H2 production for a long time, and finally decided to make my own DRY cell.
    And here it is :

Now ive been making tests on it this week, and i get pretty strange results.
    I am using NaOH for the electrolyte.
    Cell consists of 7 cells, but it doesnt work ! IT only works when i connect it to the 6`th electrode, plus, i incresed the NaOH, but that didnt seem to change anything, so i am confused now.
    What am i doing worng ?
    Can you give us some idea how your cell is configured: does look something like this; +NNNNN-NNNNN+ Oh yeah, you need to start with 1 lb of NaOH per 1 gal of DW.

If you are running 7 cell (8 plates) then you will need approx 1 pound 10 oz sodium to hit the sweet spot at about 1.97 volts per cell. (perfect). Should pull about 10-12 amps
    , according to your surface area.

Hello again. Now it is wired simply, the plates at the sides are connected to the voltage, and the middle 5 plates are neutral. At first i made it with total of 9 plates, bit it just didnt work, so i removed 2 plates and it started to work, the voltage is exactly 2V per cell. Also, i cannot disolve more than 200gr. As it just doesnt disolve any more. Why is it like this?? It seems that the electrolyte is fullfilled at 20% of NaOH, and doesnt accept any more. How can i disolve more of it?