Thread: How did you go about holding the dry cell together?

How did you go about holding the dry cell together?

I've seen several dry cell designs that use nuts and bolts to hold the dry cell together. Some had the bolts on the outside, away from the metal plates, while others have the bolts going through the plates.

I'm trying to build my dry cell with the bolts going through the plates, to not waste space. But the problem I'm seeing is that if I use metal bolts then the bolt will touch all the metal plates and complete the circuit.

Have any of you guys built the dry cell with the bolts going through the plates? and if so, how did you do it? Did you use nylon bolts? or coat the metal bolts with something? Or is there another space conserving way that is better?

I have built only one unit with bolts going though the plates and found that it is very difficult to stop leakage around the bolts. Almost impossible. You have to cover the bolts with a plastic non conductive sleeve. (tight fitting plastic tube) I never built another one after the first experience. The added space is will worth it in my experience to not go through the plates. Leakage sometimes does not show up until you take it apart because of evaporation and you wonder where the electrolyte is going to. If space it your problem notch the plates but then you have a complex gasket to cut. No matter how you look at it the surest no leak method is no holes in the plates for the bolts holding the reactor together.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .