Thread: HHO Science project

Exclamation HHO Science project

Hi, I have studied hydrogen power for awhile and I've decided that my for my 7th grade science fair this year I would run an engine 100% off of hydrogen. So far everything is going great but I need to buy an engine. I'm on a tight budget and I found glow engines are far cheaper than gasoline ones. So I'm wondering if I can run a glow engine off of Hydrogen. Please get back A.S.A.P.

Thank You!

There are two main reasons that come to mind that makes it impossible. A glow plug engine is similar to a diesel or more closely related to a "hot bulb" engine. Where the glow plug engine differs from the diesel or hot bulb engine is that it uses a total loss lubrication system similar to a two stroke with oil in the fuel. So the first problem is with HHO there is no oil to lube the engine and it would size up in short order. The second problem is that the glow plug platinum filament glows continually after the power source is removed after it starts. This is due to thermal inertia, but largely due to the catalytic combustion reaction of methanol remaining on the platinum filament. Now with HHO I do not know what might happen but if there is the same effect it would back fire and be impossible to time correctly or just not ignite. There could be other reasons but as I remember how these engines work this makes it impossible. You might find a way to solve these problems (I doubt it) but I think it would be easier to use a different type of engine.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

I have not tried it but a couple of years ago we kicked around the idea of converting a propane weed eater engine to HHO. Look up LEHR weed eaters.

The problem with most if not all small normal engines, 2 Stroke, 4 stroke gas or propane, is the timing issue that needs to be at TDC (top dead center) or better a degree or 2 after TDC. Most of these if not all will have to be machined in order to change the timing which will require you taking the engine all apart. Besides that most of them have a waste spark that also causes a big problem. So 2 issues timing and waste spark have to be solved before you can run one of them. Many people have done it so it is very doable but requires some machining or electronics to solve these problems. The best one would be hhoconnection's suggestion. It will have the least amount of alteration because it might not have a waste spark but I could be wrong.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

Okay got an idea...

OK I looked into glow engines a bit more and I thought since They are set into motion by a DC power source, I was wondering if I could keep the power source pluged in the whole time and would run. Please let me know if that would work.

Thank You,
    HHOEX.

NO. That would be the same as holding a lighter at the end of the HHO hose. I suggest you study up on HHO a little more. You must understand that there is a constant flow of gas when the reactor is on and if you have an ignition source constantly on it will back fire and possibly blow up your equipment. BE CAREFUL and then have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by HHOEX View Post
    OK I looked into glow engines a bit more and I thought since They are set into motion by a DC power source, I was wondering if I could keep the power source pluged in the whole time and would run. Please let me know if that would work.

Thank You,
    HHOEX.
    "set into motion by a DC power source" is a little misleading- they're set into motion with your finger, and I have scars to prove it! LOL.. The waste spark that is spoken of is from two magnets opposite each other on the flywheel of engines with magneto driven ignition systems. Easiest way would be getting an older B&S lawn mower engine and figure out which magnet on the flywheel is the one that causes the waste spark and replace it with an equivalent weight chunk of steel. The timing is a little more tricky but is really just a couple of hours work. You will have to fabricate pieces to hold the ignition coil a few degrees farther around the circle (in the direction of engine rotation) so the spark occurs at or immediately after top dead center.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bio, I thought the trigger on the crank triggered a spark every 360ยบ making a spark on compression and exhaust. The problem with this is the valve over lap where the intake opens at the end of the exhaust stroke or about the time of the spark. There is electronics out there to over come this problem. I know I have it filed away but finding where might be a problem. LOL Google might be a better option. I have a few of those scars on my fingers too and some others from snake bites which I know you do not have. LOL