Hi,

I'm thinking of building an HHO torch. I'm not planning to use it for my car at the moment - just a torch. But it has piqued my interest-- maybe after I finish a few other projects I'll tackle that for my Jeep and Prius. But for now, here's my application. I'm doing some projects in acrylic and need a torch for flame polishing the acrylic. Now, I could use MAPP gas (propane isn't hot enough) but a seasoned pro told me that he's been using an HHO torch and gets better results from the cleaner burn. That, and this just looks pretty darn cool to try out. So here I am.

This dry cell on EBay appears pretty good (from what I can tell):
21 PLATE HHO HYDROGEN GENERATOR SEALED DRY CELL KIT

Its configuration is: -nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn-

From browsing this site, it seems that this is designed for 12V and between 15A (at 0.25A/sq.in) and 30A (at 0.5A/sq.in).
The only thing that stands out is that with 4 neutral plates per cell, it will be dropping 12/5 = 2.4 volts per plate which is a bit high. But elsewhere on the page they claim to use thicker gaskets than others so maybe this compensates for the higher voltage?

I'm also looking at this constant current PWM
and this torch head

What do you guys think of this for my application?

Some options I'm considering:

I'd rather run off 120VAC than having a big old car battery that I have to keep recharging. So I'm looking at power transformers to get the 120vac down to something I can use for these cells.

These power transformers put out either 10V or 12V and are rated at 30A, so I could just run that through a bridge rectifier and run the resulting DC into the PWM (right)? Question: which would you use: 10V or 12V? It seems that 10V might give me a better per-cell voltage drop, but since the rectifier is dropping about a volt, the 12V might be just fine too. Do you think 10V would be "better tuned" or should I stick with 12V if I go this route.

This cell is another option- its bigger so it runs of 120V directly (saving me about $120 for the big transformer). But I'm not so sure about it.

This Ogo cell also looks pretty decent (would still need the xformer).

This looks like it'll be fun to figure out. What do you think of this setup?