Thread: HHO Torch

HHO Torch

I posted in another thread, surprised that I didn't get any responses. Anyway, I want to build an HHO torch. Just a basic torch for acrylic flame polishing. Someone pointed me at a professional unit costing $6,000. But I'm a hobbyist working from my garage. That would be a great torch but the price is out of my range. Anyway, I have ordered a bunch of HHO components and they are on the way. I'll keep folks posted if you want to hear about how it goes. In the meantime, if anyone wants to comment on my planned setup that would be appreciated.

I decided to go for a 120V dry cell:
    HHO DRY CELL 316L 62 PLATES - HYDROGEN GENERATOR - 3-7 LPM 120 VOLT AC
    This cell comes with a bridge rectifier - but I understand that even the rectified DC pulses lead to poor performance & degradation of the plates. So I've ordered this capacitor to even that out. But to be honest I have no idea if this will do the job - its just the biggest 150V capacitor I could find:
    TCI 150v 35000uf Computer Grade 105c Capacitor ScrewTop
    Bubbler
    HHO Connection's Heavy-Duty HHO Bubbler
    Flashback Arrester
    High Flow HHO Flashback Arrestor
    Reservoir
    3 Quart HHO Dry Cell reservoir-bubbler-tank kit
    Torch head
    HHO OXY HYDROGEN FUEL CELL TORCH WELDER CUTTER
    SCR to vary the output (no PWM for 110V)
    4000W AC110V 220V High Power SCR Electronic Volt Regulator AC110V 220V
    Not sure if a pump will make a difference, just in case I got this:
    6.5L 12V CPU Cooling CAR HHO DC submersible Water Pump
    Amp/volt meter
    0-200V 0-200A DC Digital LED Panel Amp Volt Meter + Shunt Blue Display
    KOH FLakes
    1 pound (16 oz) Potassium Hydroxide Flakes KOH HHO
    And just to stay safe, a Chromium VI test kit
    Hanna Instruments HI3846 Chromium VI Test Kit for 100 Tests

What do you think, will I get a decent torch for the money?

Thanks,
    Eric

Eric:

The only thing I would recommend is a larger reservoir. You might be alright with a pump though.

Thanks! Since you're here, I do have a quick question. The arrestor I ordered from you arrived yesterday. What a beast! I love it. My wife thinks I'm really up to something.

Quick question on the small arrestor. First thing I did of course was to stick it in my mouth and blow through it. Probably not a good idea haha and to think I'll soon be creating explosive gases. But it seems to have a significant amount of resistance. Is that normal? Not sure how to quantify that, but it does have more resistance than the large arrestor which has very little.

Thanks,
    Eric