Thread: Hate Foam? Calcium Hydroxide May Be the Answer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hate Foam? Calcium Hydroxide May Be the Answer

CaOH can be added to water that continues to foam. It's well known that calcium deficiency can lead to foaming in spas. Keep in mind that you don't want to add anything containing carbon such as chalk (CaC03). I had some interesting foaming issues that not even simethicone could help for longer than an hour or so. So, I did some reading and decided to try some food grade pickling lime (a.k.a. slaked lime) and all foaming issues are gone. Give it a try and you're welcome!

Thank you Stevo. This worked very well for me. It's hot in Vegas in the summer and my cell gets hot at half it's suggested amps. As such, every time I used pool anti - foam it would get burnt in the cell then I'd see a black or grey sludge build up in my reservoir. To further help others, I learned that one can make calcium hydroxide at home. You simply take a small piece of white chalk and heat it until it glows (I used a mapp gas torch). Have a spray bottle with water in it ready. Once you get the chalk to glow you remove the heat and spray it with water, then cover it and let it cool. All I needed to make a huge impact was about about a half teaspoon.

Thanks for the reply. Glad someone found this to be helpful.