Thread: Backfire in Diesel Engine

Backfire in Diesel Engine

Hi
    I installed a HHO generator in a diesel engine (1300cc) that has a turbo. I've been having backfire in the engine and the air filter was damaged. how do i get rid of this problem

Quote Originally Posted by afjsph View Post
    Hi
    ...the air filter was damaged...
    What do u mean by that . Should i get worry for my airfilter too?

"-that has a turbo.." It sounds like either your turbo cold side is getting too hot, or something inside is rubbing and perhaps making a spark? difficult to say, because you would have to be dumping a tremendous amount of HHO in there to be ignitable in an air flow like that. Any trouble at all of any sort before the addition of HHO? Electronic or mechanical engine? Any other add-on goodies besides the HHO? Where are you injecting the HHO- pre or post turbo? How are the valves?- could be a little leakage back into air intake manifold..
    Need more info to even make an educated guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There could be a number of things causing this problem. Depending on how new your engine is, the Fiat common rail injection has a minimum of 5 injections and could have up to 8. So some are before and some are much after tdc. The flexible common rail injection system guarantees quieter (one of the biggest complaints of diesels engines) and more efficient diesel performance. It exploits the principle that increased fuel-injection pressure produces finer droplets of fuel in the combustion chamber, (this is similar to part of what happens with HHO injection in single injection engines by starting a pre-injection burn that increases pressure ) which in turn results in better combustion. Instead of using individual injector pumps for each cylinder, the common rail system uses one central high-pressure pump (commonly known as the rail). This leads to extremely fast, precise, electronically controlled injector valves.

Because of this sophisticated system, the diesel can be injected into the chamber in a number of different phases in each combustion process: a pre-injection introduces a small amount of fuel, followed by the main injection, and then follow-up injections if required. (we are talking milliseconds here) The pre-injection phase ensures that the combustion-chamber pressure increases evenly, which reduces engine noise. The follow-up injections burn most of the remaining particulates and treats the exhaust gases better than a single injection.

Together with high-performance digital engine management and precisely designed injection valves, the common rail injection system delivers significant improvements in fuel consumption very similar to HHO injection in single injection engines and enhances smooth engine running.

The injection of HHO in these engines is very tricky. First off the engine already gets 86 mpg imp. or 71 mpg US or 3.3 L/100k. There is very little room for improvement unless you reduce the pre-injection amounts with a MAF controller or such. This would still be very difficult to get the ratio correct. I would be guessing on why the engine is backfiring but if everything else is right then it has to do with the pre-injection / muli-injection cycle. Use very little HHO not more than 50 to 100 mlpm or less and see if that works. This is one of the most efficient diesels out there and it is going to be very hard to improve on it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

thanks for your replies. will try reducing the amount of hho going into the system and check