Thread: HHO at idle

HHO at idle

Hi guys,

I would like to implement some kind of electronic device ( a solenoid valve ? ) to my system so that my reactor shuts off when I release the gas pedal, and turns on when I press it.

Is there any cheap, but decently efficient way to do it ?

Thanks

Off at Idle

There are many ways to do this and depending on your vehicle as to which two are the cheapest or easiest. Here are two methods that both work. There is some posts of this somewhere on forum. Use the search and see if you can find them.

1. A simple leaver switch attached to the throttle which cuts the ground to your relay works.

2. If your engine is naturally aspirated (non turbo) and not a diesel then an adjustable vacuum switch works too. Again cutting the ground to your relay. If it is turbo charged then an adjustable pressure switch will work.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Hi Carter,

Thank you for replying.

Could you please be more specific ? How could I connect a switch to the throttle ? Are you talking about the throttle body ? Just before the intake manifold ? Would it be an electrical connection or a mechanical one ( driven by vacuum ? )

Also, what do you mean by cutting the ground to the relay ?

Andrei.

By the way, I tried searching on the forum but I only found 1 thread which I didn't understand very well.

Could you please be more specific ? How could I connect a switch to the throttle ? Are you talking about the throttle body ? Just before the intake manifold ? Would it be an electrical connection or a mechanical one ( driven by vacuum ? )

Also, what do you mean by cutting the ground to the relay ?

Hi Andrei,

A lever switch is a micro mechanical switch that has a long leaver that can be bent in various shapes to fit the situation. The location is a mater of ease of installation. Brackets will need to be made and can be attached to the throttle body or even to the gas peddle itself or any convenient location where the throttle movement controls it. When the peddle is depressed the switch makes contact and when released it cuts the ground to the relay turning off the relay. I usually control the ground and not the power side of things. When the ground has a switch on it then when the circuit is open what ever the relay is controlling is no longer active, and of course the opposite is true when the circuit is closed. The mechanical switch is just operated by the lever touching a stopper of some kind to make it open or close with the action of throttle. These switches are spring loaded and have to have something holding then on or they automatically switch off.
    They are available at any electrical store and cost anywhere from $1.50 to $6.00 depending on how many amps they can handle. The cheaper ones work fine because there is very low amps on the control side of a relay. 1 amp or less in some cases. Most throttles are cable and so you have to find a practical place to make a bracket and stopper etc. On older carb cars it is quite easy in most cases. Hope that helps.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

Thank you for clarifying Now I understand what you mean.

I will try the option with the gas pedal switch, since I don't see any way of placing a switch inside the throttle body. I mean you could in theory, but I think it's risky.

I don't have a relay on my system, just a basic, on/off switch. I will, however, get a relay and a lever switch.

I will report when I have some results.

Thanks again !

Andrei.

Do not place it on the inside of the throttle body but on the linkage on the outside of the throttle body. Somewhere where the cable connects to the throttle body might be a spot.

I think the throttle body is completely electrical. I don't think there's any cable pulling it. But I will double check.

I also checked the pedal, and it's gonna be tricky to get a lever switch pushed by it. I mean it has to be a pretty accurate and solid install. For sure I need a bracket for the switch and a spring or something on the pedal.

Can you please tell m what vehicle you have you are trying this on. I might be able to help more.

It's a volkswagen jetta 2001, 1.8 turbo engine.