Thread: 14 strips of SS 2” x 48”

Question 14 strips of SS 2” x 48”

What do you have laying around?

I want to try something new.

BoyntnStu

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    Try to get 316L. It's the best stainless to use for electrolysis. It's all we use.

Boyton, I have 2" by 48" 20 gauge 304 that will roll very well for your coil design. The cost would be about $10, plus shipping.

BTW, I tried that bit of advice related to creating the coils and it works like a dream. I built a jig from the description you gave me in the other post. The only thing that I am not quite sure I like very much is the plastic mesh...Not sure how else to go about the spacing, but it wants to tear as I roll the strips into a coil..maybe something I am doing wrong?
    "You don't always have to know ALL the answers, but you do need to know where to find them."

Question

Quote Originally Posted by computerclinic View Post
    Boyton, I have 2" by 48" 20 gauge 304 that will roll very well for your coil design. The cost would be about $10, plus shipping.

BTW, I tried that bit of advice related to creating the coils and it works like a dream. I built a jig from the description you gave me in the other post. The only thing that I am not quite sure I like very much is the plastic mesh...Not sure how else to go about the spacing, but it wants to tear as I roll the strips into a coil..maybe something I am doing wrong?
    What spacer did you try?

Methinks that 14 pieces of 2" x 24" is the most practical solution.

My spiral calculator for #20 gauge says:

Length of a spiral
    L = pi*N*(D+d)/2 where N = (D-d)/(2*t)
    Length N D d t
    6.25 1.875 0.625 0.1 6.25 turns
    24.53125"

The 2 outer edges at 180* will be bent into a ½ “
    L___________________________

A few holes or slots and one could spot weld or use screws for interconnections.

The spirals would be less than 2” OD.

22 Gauge actually might be better for ease in rolling, etc.

By making a set of 2” high “jelly rolls” I can make a universal “plate” system that can be connected in series, series/parallel, etc.

Also, my experiments have shown that it is not practical to use 1-2 Volts at high current.

I can supply it, but the cabling problem requirement takes over.

Better use the high current to spot weld the “jelly rolls” together.

The key here is that the sandwich spiral automatically forces uniform plate spacing and also offers connections both inside and outside the spiral.

My plastic "jelly" has been proven to withstand KOH.

Compare parallel switch cover shaped rectangles to a spiral in your mind’s eye.

Daisy chain seven 2” spiral cells out of 24” lengths spot welded in series.

That is 336 sq inches.

BoyntonStu

P.S. I can send you some "jelly" for your roll.