Thread: How much KOH is necessary?

How much KOH is necessary?

Hi! I'm building a wet cell (I know that they aren't as efficient as dry cells, don't go hatin ) and I was wondering about how much KOH I need per quart. I don't want to go over 5-10amps draw, so how much should I use?

Thanks for the help!

-Ryan

I've been away for some time, I see things have not change. People asking without dong any research to answer a simple as "how much KOH or NaOH". Start with 4 tablespoon (about 50mg) per 1 gal of DW. with that amount you will not produce mush unless you are using the system on a motorcycle (650-750). Good luck, try using the search function. I've away and would like to start participating to some of these built, but answering basic question like this one is what drove me away from here and just doing my own thing. Oh yeah, use a 12v vacuum pump for production increase and use NaOH instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFauxFox View Post
    Hi! I'm building a wet cell (I know that they aren't as efficient as dry cells, don't go hatin ) and I was wondering about how much KOH I need per quart. I don't want to go over 5-10amps draw, so how much should I use?

Thanks for the help!

-Ryan
    Just keep adding a pinch of KOH as you go until you reach the current draw target. However, electrolyte activity increases with temperature so, you will find that amperage will increase with temperature proportional to the electrolyte concentration. Thus you get amperage/thermal runaway.

I personally use a super saturated solution ( sediment at the bottom ) and run a current limiter circuit.
    This provides the lowest overall cell resistance and minimizes cell heating from internal sources.

And a well configured "wet cell" can approach and even exceed the efficiency of the so called "dry cells" considering most dry cells are built with plates that have holes in them.