Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, here's a mockup of what I'm making.

Okay, here's a mockup of what I'm making.

I'm making a generator out of 1/4" Lexan, 8"x8"x4" to fit in a spot under my hood. I'm going to start with a 9 plate setup -NNN+NNN-, with my plates being 7"x3". I'm going to get nylon washers 1/16" thick so I can play with spacing. I'm hearing 1/8" is a good medium. I'm going to try NaOH as my electolyte. Right now I'm just having hell trying to find the fittings I need for being able to fill and clean my unit, as well as hooking up hoses. The local Home Depot and Lowe's are out of smaller hose barbs... Gay.

Here's a quick MSPaint drawing of the unit's basic form. I've already assembled it, minus the lid.

HYDROTEKPRO Guest

HomeGrown Guest
    I like that concept, nice and robust looking. As for the barbs, forget Lowe's & Home Depot. Try the smaller places like TSC, ACE, mom & pop hardware stores, etc.

I designed & built a turbocharger setup for my S-10 pickup a few years ago, and was always in need of various barbs & fittings during the development & installation. The hardware stores never failed me, and always had good stock on these items. Many times they have selection and stock that will blow away the big-box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
    I like that concept, nice and robust looking.
    lol. I figured with the size of the plates, I shouldn't have any problems making some HHO. I'm thinking of changing the size from 7"x3" to 7"x4".

378in² surface on the 7"x3" plates
    504in² surface on the 7"x4" plates

504in² is a lot of surface lol. Anyone have any ideas what the typical generator has?

HomeGrown Guest
    I don't think we yet have anything that can be described as "typical" here, but offhand I'd say you are probably in the upper end of the class with that much surface area.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
    I don't think we yet have anything that can be described as "typical" here, but offhand I'd say you are probably in the upper end of the class with that much surface area.
    I like that. Hell, if I could I would make a generator with plates like 12"x4" each. That would be an insane amount of surface area! 864in² to be exact, or 6ft².

My 7x4 idea is 3.5ft²

Jaxom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom240 View Post
    lol. I figured with the size of the plates, I shouldn't have any problems making some HHO. I'm thinking of changing the size from 7"x3" to 7"x4".

378in² surface on the 7"x3" plates
    504in² surface on the 7"x4" plates

504in² is a lot of surface lol. Anyone have any ideas what the typical generator has?
    Your numbers are a little high, you can't count the outer surface of the outside plates because those won't be productive surfaces. You're looking at 448sq.in. with the 7x4" plates. That's still a lot of SA.

My radial cell is at 720sq.in. I firmly believe that I have way more SA than I can effectively use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    Your numbers are a little high, you can't count the outer surface of the outside plates because those won't be productive surfaces. You're looking at 448sq.in. with the 7x4" plates. That's still a lot of SA.

My radial cell is at 720sq.in. I firmly believe that I have way more SA than I can effectively use.
    I wasn't sure if the outsides of the plates produced or not. Either way, that's a lot of surface area. If I can work out the electrolyte solution where I only draw 15-20 amps, I think I should be producing quite well.

If this cell works well, I'm going to build a stupid large cell just for giggles.

Jaxom Guest
    It really looks like a pretty solid design. Having the plates longer than they are deep means it will be easy for the bubbles to escape, and plenty of SA available for production. The large amount of space above the plates means plenty of water capacity (cooler running and longer running between top-offs.) Simple is good. I like it. The only thing I'll recommend is to put the tabs for the + electrical connection on the opposite end from the - connections. That'll help reduce the chance of a short circuit if you ever have a problem with the internal wiring.

Also I use 7.5mL of NaOH crystals per gallon of distilled in my cell. Your ideal mixture may vary, but it's a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    It really looks like a pretty solid design. Having the plates longer than they are deep means it will be easy for the bubbles to escape, and plenty of SA available for production. The large amount of space above the plates means plenty of water capacity (cooler running and longer running between top-offs.) Simple is good. I like it. The only thing I'll recommend is to put the tabs for the + electrical connection on the opposite end from the - connections. That'll help reduce the chance of a short circuit if you ever have a problem with the internal wiring.

Also I use 7.5mL of NaOH crystals per gallon of distilled in my cell. Your ideal mixture may vary, but it's a starting point.
    Yep. I already know to put the + and the - tabs on opposite ends, I just couldn't really show that in such a crude drawing.

I need to get an ammeter so I can see what kind of current I'm drawing. I really can't put much more strain on my electrical system. I have electric fans in place of my belt driven fan, two amps, an Optima YellowTop battery, all on the stock 90A alternator lol. I'm getting a 200A alternator built for it soon enough. I'm also going to experiment with having a remote mounted reservoir that I can use to constantly circulate water through the cell and hopefully keep it a little cooler and more productive.