Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okay, here's a mockup of what I'm making.

Omega Guest
    Looks good, Phantom240. I regret making my cells so small, so far. I'm going to start one soon that will have many times the surface area of my previous ones.

Currently I've got a cell that's 9 plates, +NNN-NNN+, plate size is 2"x4". It runs cool and trouble free, so far, but the output just isn't cutting it. Time to think big....

Think 10 gallon aquarium.

Omega Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom240 View Post
    Think 10 gallon aquarium.
    OK, I'll think 10 gallon aquarium, but even the most intense thought won't make it fit under the hood!

lol. Who said it had to be under the hood?

Under the bumper mount.

I have a 2003 blazer. Some of the problems that was occuring under the hood was heat. I made a heat shield with bubble wrap and foil. It helped some. I am currently using the mason jar type hho generator. After all the research I've been reading, on ebay this guy is building 6X6" plate 18 stainless plates in a roughly a 7X7X7" cube.So I bought one. Now keep in mine there's a bubbler to be used with this type of generator. So I made a mount that fit perfect under the bumper space under my s-10 blazer. I'm thinking a 3X12-16" generator to go length wise could be awsome to be a retrofit. Keep in mine the bubbler installation though. I had to make room above, so I got a K&N air induction modification to make room for the bubbler.... I'll let everyone know how this works out..

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom240 View Post
    I like that. Hell, if I could I would make a generator with plates like 12"x4" each. That would be an insane amount of surface area! 864in² to be exact, or 6ft².

My 7x4 idea is 3.5ft²
    In truth the outside of the end plates, produce next to nothing, but are not 100% totally non functional.

I have three generators, connected in parallel, each with 17 plates (five polar plates are 7 x 3 with corners trimmed for ease of connections), and 12 neutral plates 4.5" by 3" (all are 304 grade ss, 1 mm thick (approximately 0.039" thick).

Total surface area is 496.5 sq inches, or 3.447 sq ft. (per unit, with 3 units)

I run them with 1 teaspoon potasium hydroxide, per gallon, 10 amps, and run a pretty constant 128 degrees F.

My configuration is +NNN-NNN+NNN-NNN+ for each cell.

Production is 1.9 LM, and I know for a fact that if I increase catalyst, I can probably double the production, but at what heat level?

I find that running more cells in parallel, I can get a substancial production, but at comfortable heat levels!

I run a #2 wire through a constant solenoid (key switched), which is connected to a 850 Amp (cold crank amps) marine battery. Note the #2 wire is rated for 97 Amps maximum, and i use three 30 amp circuit breakers, but could easilly reduce their size, and still be OK

The marine battery has top and side post, so the top post go to normal automobile functions, while the positive side post, allows me to connect to the solenoid, and feed the rear mounted generators (in the back area of a 99 Jeep Cherokee 6 banger).

Just to the side of the generators, I exit the ground wire, and ground it to the frame, at the rear passenger side wheel well.

Hope that helps.

For curiosity's sake, I just emptied the contents, into old water bottles, and doubled the catalyst. Then refilled the generators.

Production was off the charts, but so was the amperage draw. I did not get an acurate reading on the Lm, because the Amp draw concerned me. However the increase was very noticeable.

I also did not have the temp gage hooked up, so I have no information in that respect, except that with tripple the amps, I suspect the temp also spiked.

The previous 10 amp draw was now right at 30 amps, per unit, with two teaspoons per gallon.

That tells me, I need to use 1.5 teaspoons, as a next attempt, and hope to hold Amps to 20, or less.

When you say #2 wire, are you talking about 2awg wire? If so, it is rated for MUCH MORE than 97 amps, especially at shorter distances. Now, if you're running like 30 feet of this stuff, then yeah 97 amps sounds close.

Jaxom Guest
    He did say he's running the cable from an underhood marine battery to the generators which are mounted in the hatch area, so figure somewhere between 16 and 20ft of power cable. For a constant 90A draw 2awg seems like a good size to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    He did say he's running the cable from an underhood marine battery to the generators which are mounted in the hatch area, so figure somewhere between 16 and 20ft of power cable. For a constant 90A draw 2awg seems like a good size to me.
    For sure. I didn't recall where his battery was at.