Thread: Using car sensors to monitor generators

Using car sensors to monitor generators

I was thinking about what sensors i could use to monitor my generator. a coolant temp sensor could be used to monitor my water temps. and a differential Pressure Feedback EGR sensor could be calibrated to monitor flow. those of you not familiar a DPFE is a sensor used br ford to monitor the flow of EGR. it has a metal tube with a tube with a larger tube diameter and a smaller tube diameter attached perpendicular to the flow tube. it can monitor flow by measuring the difference in pressure between the small and large tubes, hence the name. it must be caliabrated but it could be used to make sure you are getting the flow rate you want and make sure that it stays that rate over a long period of time.

I have been watching this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140741163209...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The downside is not having the threads though. I think it would be nice to be able to just thread the temp sensor in to the reactor endplate.

I first find the optimum temperature and the max temperature where production drops off significantly. You have to have a good dryer so the gas does not have any moisture in it to get an accurate temperature. You also need an Alicat mass flow meter. I then simply epoxy a heat switch to the reactor on the hottest spot that turns off the system if temperatures reach this maximum temp. Have not had one shut off for this reason so far though. I have purposely left off the temperature I use because this is totally based on each and every design of reactor. My temperature might cook your reactor. It is a lot hotter than you would normally think. Testing is on going too.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

what is the cost of that mass flow meter. i was thinking along the lines of saving a little money and using what i already know. also i planned on measuring water temp, i didn't think air temp would be relevant but i learn new things everyday. can't wait to get by build on

what is the cost of that mass flow meter. i was thinking along the lines of saving a little money and using what i already know. also i planned on measuring water temp, i didn't think air temp would be relevant but i learn new things everyday. can't wait to get by build on
    If I remember it is somewhere around $1200. That includes programing it for HHO which is not on it normally. The Alicat takes the gas temp into consideration which is important especially when ambient temps can reach 55ยบ C. Expensive but one of the tools that I can not do without once I used it. Air temp in the intake, ambient temp where the reactor is mounted is all very important to get things right in the final setup.

http://www.alicat.com/products/gas-f...ss-flow-meter/
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

wow thats quite abit higher than i expected. im gonna try my hand at using car sensors and calibrating flow with a liter bottle upside down in water. im not sure how sensitive it is but its worth a shot. i might even throw in a iat sensor and see how it does measuring output gases