Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brown Water

Sure all your metals are the same? Mixing different grades of stainless will do this as well.

vjm530 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bigapple View Post
    the "brown stuff" that ur seeing is rust (ferrous oxide)... the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) becomes part of the reaction in the cell when u run it... when using lye (NaOH) or potash (KOH), it isnt part of the reaction and is a true catalyst since it isnt used up thru electrolysis... u can use much less of it, draw less current, decrease temperature, and keep a cleaner generator with less maintenance... just add water when the level goes down
    Thanks a lot for the 'cause and effect' and sounds quite logical and certainly understandable. As I mentioned above I've added 1/4 teaspoon of Sodium Hydroxide to each bottle. How do I know how much to use?

bwhite757 Guest
    Source of the NaOH is Roebec Cyrystal Drain Opener, says 100% sodium Hydroxide, I've also ordered Sodium Hydroxide off the internet with the same result.

All the metel was cut from the same sheet of 304SS, it was sanded, washed with Alcohol, and then handled with latex gloves. The electrodes were also cut from the same sheet of Stainless.

bigapple Guest
    well ive also had rust buildup from using just lye and id say the culprit is probably high temperatures... if water gets close to its boiling point it mite have a tendency to react with the iron in the plates and cause a little buildup... it doesnt seem to affect the way the plates produce though and it def makes alot less rust than running baking soda... hopefully its just the high temps

waterworld Guest

There are 3 possibilities

1) the water is not distilled and therefore has impurities.
    2) the NaOH is not pure and has impurities.
    3) the stainless steel is of a lower grade with less desirable characteristics.

You are going to need to change your cell plates ultimately because they are degrading and causing the 'brown goop' to form. When I first started and used baking soda thinking that it would be ok, it completely destroyed the stainless plates. Now I use KOH and the water stays clean and clear.

mario brito Guest
    i believe the problem is not the NaHO, but the SS. i've got two different cell's cores, both SS, and with the same water and same NaHO, one of them produces alot of brown stuff and the other much less.

thanks

BigTruck Guest
    You can select proper materials and use proper construction, and still get dirty water. I think everyone is having to change their water fairly often. At least, its cheaper than an oil change.

The harder the cell is run, then the faster the cell will break down and corrode.

Atechguy Guest
    Will koh Sodium Hyd. be harmful to my plastic bubbler??

BigTruck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Atechguy View Post
    Will koh Sodium Hyd. be harmful to my plastic bubbler??
    Probably not, but it depends on the plastic. Different plastics take different temps and are manufactured to take different corrosions.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTruck View Post
    Probably not, but it depends on the plastic. Different plastics take different temps and are manufactured to take different corrosions.
    "Corrosives", not "corrosions".

Sorry, grammar nazi in me.

And KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) and Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) are two different things. As far as I know, acrylic/lexan will not be damaged by either one of these two chemicals.