Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Water

vjm530 Guest

Brown Water

Hi Everyone,

Hope I'm in the right place for my question.

I am running dual HHO generators w/dual Maf Sensor enhansors and so far the results are encouraging but too early for any conclusions. My question is: The water in both bottles gets very brown after 100-150 miles and this has happened twice. Is this normal, should I change the water (which I have done both times) or should I just be concerned with the water 'level'? I have 3/4 - 1 teaspoon of Baking soda in the water with bubble adjustment at 3-5 per second.

The car is a '97 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 v8 which demands Premium gas. Since installing my HHO I am currently using the middle grade (89) and running great with no ping or loss of power. I also add 2oz of acetone for every 10gal fill-up which adds amazing engine strength and smoothness compared to running without.

With all this said, I would appreciate any comments/suggestions re: the 'brown' water and any other 'positive' suggestions. Thanks

Cyr Guest
    First suggestion: Get rid of the Baking Soda, and buy KOH (Potassium Hydroxide). That will get rid of the brown water.

vjm530 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    First suggestion: Get rid of the Baking Soda, and buy KOH (Potassium Hydroxide). That will get rid of the brown water.
    Thanks for your reply. Is KOH powder or liquid and where do I look for this? Thanks again. BTW, is the brown water harmful?

Just read that KOH produces extreme heat. What is the amount you would use in any form such as pellets, powder or hard?

Koh

vjm530,

The brown stuff won't harm your engine, but I think it makes the cell get more inefficient as it gets worse.

KOH, which is potassium hydroxide can be bought on ebay, also www.aaa-chemicals.com.

I got the flake form from AAA, it's hard to measure out, but not that hard.

This stuff is great, haven't changed my electrolyte for weeks, only added distilled water.

I use 1/4 tsp in my quart bottle. Runs at 4.5 to 5.5 amps fine. BTW it only makes heat initially when you mix it into water.

vjm530 Guest
    I found a local product called 'ROOTO' - 100% Lye Drain Opener w/Sodium Hydroxide. Will this work with 1/4 teaspoon (powder) each (2) jars? Thanks.

waterworld Guest

Koh

KOH is for sure the best you can use BUT be aware that ANY metal in your system other than stainless steel is going to react. This means nuts, bolts copper wire anything that comes in contact with the electrolyte is subject to disintegration.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Sodium Hydroxide will work if you can't find Potassium Hydroxide. Potassium Hydroxide is slightly better.

bigapple Guest
    the "brown stuff" that ur seeing is rust (ferrous oxide)... the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) becomes part of the reaction in the cell when u run it... when using lye (NaOH) or potash (KOH), it isnt part of the reaction and is a true catalyst since it isnt used up thru electrolysis... u can use much less of it, draw less current, decrease temperature, and keep a cleaner generator with less maintenance... just add water when the level goes down

bwhite757 Guest
    I don't know, my system is doing the same thing on NaOH and distilled water. This is a picture after 6 straight hours of use on my cell, 340 miles no downtime.

Everthing inside the water is either stainless or nylon, I'm not sure why my water is getting so brown either, I've switched it out with fresh about 10 times now, still same situation after a couple of hours of use..

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite757 View Post
    Everthing inside the water is either stainless or nylon, I'm not sure why my water is getting so brown either, I've switched it out with fresh about 10 times now, still same situation after a couple of hours of use..
    Hmm... what is your source of NaOH? Perhaps it isn't 100% pure? I.E. contaminants are causing the brown goop?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO