Thread: HHO generation problem

Post HHO generation problem

I have built my first HHO generator and I'm stumped as to a problem I'm having.

I'm only getting bubbles from the the electrode + and - plates and no production from any of the neutral plates.

I have two 7 plate cells (six water cells each). + N N N N N - - N N N N N +

All production is from the 2 + plates and the 2 - plates.

I'm using KOH for the electrolyte and added it in small amounts until I was drawing 20 amps cold. I'm producing a liter of HHO in 1Minute 20 seconds cold (about 80 degrees). As it runs and gets hotter (about 130 degrees) the amperage gets as high as 28 amps.

This is a wet cell generator and the plates are 16 gauge SS 7-3/4" X 2-3/4". They are spaced 1/16" apart.

My goal is to generate about 1-1/2 to 2 LPM of HHO running between 12 and 18 amps using a CCPWM to control the amperage.

From the results I'm getting my goal doesn't seem unrealistic since I'm producing the 1 LPM with only 28% of the plates working.

I've tried reversing the cables but the same production conditions exist.

Why are none of the N plates producing anything?

I'm assuming you are using a 12v power supply.

That would ony give you around the 1 volt/water cell (want to be aiming for around the 2 volt mark for production to take place)

Try just wiring 1 side of the cell up and see what happens,

Power this side. No power this side.
    +NNNNN- -NNNNN+

If production can be seen from the N plates using half the cell (voltage should now be around the magic 2v/cell)
    you can either remove some N plates from each stack and use the full cell or up the voltage.

Coalman,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Your assumption is correct that I'm attached to a 12V supply.

The way my cells are built it will not be a simple task to try and just power one of the 2 cells.

But I think as currently hooked up they are treated as 2 separate cells so they should both be at the 2Volts shouldn't they.

Notice that the configuration is the 2 + sides are on the outside and the 2 - sides are in the center. The - (negative side) is sandwiched between the two center plates and the + (positive) side is a "U" shaped bracket that connects the two outside plates. My thought is this treats each cell like they are independent of each other. That is why I thought I had already achieved the 2V's on each cell. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Before taking it to bits.
    Test the volts between plates with a multimeter just to make sure.
    If it's 1 volt per cell then some thinning out of N plates will help.

The laws of HHO plate configuration are strange (normal rules don't seem to apply)

Thanks again for a prompt reply. I appreciate your logical suggestions.

From your 1st reply I had already convinced myself to do what you are suggesting this time just to be sure what the voltage actually is.

I'm a first time poster and are correctly referred to as a "Newbie". I notice that you are still considered "Newbie" but I noticed you have made several good suggestions to other posters as well as helping me. How come you still consider yourself a Newbie? To me, clearly you are not a Newbie

I have heard of issues like this in the past, in which current leakage from the edge of the plates were the culprit. You want the current to travel straight through your neutral plates, and not enter them from the "edges." Wet cell design will always have some leakage, whereas a dry cell would not (since the edges are not touching the electrolyte). But I would venture that this would be low on the likely list of issues your having, since you said your using 16 gauge SS with a 1/16" gap (you should be seeing at least some bubbling on the neutrals).

Have you ever gotten around to testing only one set for the recommended ~2 volts? If you don't want to take the system apart, you could always use another batter in series to double your voltage to 24 volts, or 2 volts per water cell.

On a side note, what is holding your cell together? Nylon bolts?