Thread: Hydrogen Generator Design, Advice Needed.

Hydrogen Generator Design, Advice Needed.

Hi Guys,

New to the forum. I found the Hydrogen generators quite interesting so I decided to join.

I am in need of some advice.

I would like to build a split cell generator so that I could get seperate hydrogen and oxygen.

Here's a diagram I found of what I'm planning. (The lables arent 100%)
    http://www.instructables.com/file/F4...pg?size=medium

So my question is, how should I arrange the electrodes?

Should I go with the SS316 plates and arrange it as
    -,n,n,n and the other tube n,n,n,+ ?

Or should go with SS316 pipes and arrange it like a gatling gun barrel in each tube ?

I'm aiming for maximum production with the least amount of power.

It would be running off a car battery that would be charged by a wind turbine.

Thanks in advance!

That is the classic Hoffman apparatus.

You cannot run it with neutral plate configurations unless you have divided reservoirs, both electrically and gaswise. But you can stack them in parallel or in series and gather the separated gasses. These work best with super-saturated electrolytes (very strong electrolyte mix).

Okay, so if it is set up with the stainless steel pipes in the machine gun arrangement in each tube, would it produce lots of gas ? Around how much would you think?
    And would the amount of pipes in each tube affect the amount of gas produced ?

I was thinking of it being like in the diagram but with the pipes arrangement for each electrode.

All that matters is current.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZR750 View Post
    Okay, so if it is set up with the stainless steel pipes in the machine gun arrangement in each tube, would it produce lots of gas ? Around how much would you think?
    And would the amount of pipes in each tube affect the amount of gas produced ?

I was thinking of it being like in the diagram but with the pipes arrangement for each electrode.
    In a Hoffman Apparatus (HA) configuration, you can calculate exactly your gas production by simply measuring your current since you need one electron for every H+ produced at the electrode plate.

The configuration of your electrodes is immaterial. But the surface area is important. The rule of thumb is to use one square centimeter of electrode area for every ampere you run through the HA. This is for your 316 stainless steel grades. You can use 303/304 stainless grades by increasing your surface area by about 5 times to reduce the electric field that will cause cross plating to your electrodes.

With about 3 volts across your HA, you should see 5 amps or so with strong electrolyte and at standard temperatures. With a 12 volt power source, you can run four HA units in series to increase your gas production.

I know with a single cell unit, the arrangement of having neutral plates lowers the voltage.

In the HA generator, does the surface area lower the voltage?

I would be using a 12v 80Amp hour battery and I would prefer to use 316 for the higher corrosion resistance

How much surface area do you think should work best and not drain the battery rapidly?

Only your power supply affects voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by YFZR750 View Post
    I know with a single cell unit, the arrangement of having neutral plates lowers the voltage.

In the HA generator, does the surface area lower the voltage?

I would be using a 12v 80Amp hour battery and I would prefer to use 316 for the higher corrosion resistance

How much surface area do you think should work best and not drain the battery rapidly?
    The surface area dictates the safe working current. As I mentioned, having greater surface area allows greater current - up to the power source limit of course. The series configuration of HA units is what allows you to cut voltage per unit. Put 2 units in series and you have only half the voltage across each. Put 3, and you have a third. And so forth.

As far as current drain, I have no idea what your over all concept is and what you are trying to do. I wouldn't use a battery for a power source as it will not run very long except at the lowest of current rates.

Thanks for the advice, I decided I would rather go for the single cell hho design with the stainless steel pipes.

Do you perhaps have experience on having a automotive ignition coil to power the generator?

Thanks

Hi,

I just wanted to ask one last question.

Is it possible to run a engine on 100% HHO with stock internals?

Could retarding the ignition timing and perhaps lower the compression would it decrease the temperature?

I have also read up that one would need water/alchohol injection to keep the combustion temperature down.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks