+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: KOH amount to produce 1lpm HHO

  1. Default KOH amount to produce 1lpm HHO

    Hello ,
    I need to know how much KOH (electrolyte) needs to be added in one liter of distilled water to produce 1 lpm HHO gas,
    please help....

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niloorane View Post
    Hello ,
    I need to know how much KOH (electrolyte) needs to be added in one liter of distilled water to produce 1 lpm HHO gas,
    please help....
    All instructions use to talk about 1 tablespoon by liter of water, but the amount of HHO produced is more affected by amperage/voltage, number of neutral plates, surface of plates exposed to water and separation of plates.

    So normally the HHO production have a more direct relation to this factors than to a precise amount of electrolyte.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California.
    Posts
    337

    Default Precisely.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusangel View Post
    All instructions use to talk about 1 tablespoon by liter of water, but the amount of HHO produced is more affected by amperage/voltage, number of neutral plates, surface of plates exposed to water and separation of plates.

    So normally the HHO production have a more direct relation to this factors than to a precise amount of electrolyte.
    All that matters is amperes per cell. Anything that contributes to that end cause increases your production and efficiency.

    I use a super saturated mix of NaOH and distilled water to reduce my electrolyte resistance to the minimum. I also run the generator as hot as possible to reduce over voltages. Current is controlled electronically.

    Controlling your output via electrolyte concentration is for amateurs. Though I do understand the majority of builders are.

  4. Default

    Say it to niloorane, , not to me, as I said before, take care about total voltage applied to cell / number of water spaces must be close to 2v, max amperage applied must be 0.54 A by square inch x number of water spaces.

    More amperage will overheat the cell and produce steam.

    Of course to have a efficient hoo production since cell start (while electrolyte is cool) to the end must have a pwm.

    Supposing you have a cell based on plates.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California.
    Posts
    337

    Default My generator is not what most call the "dry cells".

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusangel View Post
    Say it to niloorane, , not to me, as I said before, take care about total voltage applied to cell / number of water spaces must be close to 2v, max amperage applied must be 0.54 A by square inch x number of water spaces.

    More amperage will overheat the cell and produce steam.

    Of course to have a efficient hoo production since cell start (while electrolyte is cool) to the end must have a pwm.

    Supposing you have a cell based on plates.
    I do not use plates as the large gasket areas cause leaks under pressure. Yes, I run my system at up to 4 atm to eliminate steam production at the elevated temperatures via elevated pressures. The elevated temperatures also cause softening of most gasket materials and thus more leaks.

    My generator is based on plates or tubes in individual cylindrical cells much like a Hoffman apparatus. I can pass engine coolant between the cell tubes to heat up the electrolyte and reduce resistance and increase efficiency. This is how it is done in industrial production of H2 for process gasses.

    I don't use a simple PWM controller per say. I use a current follower control circuit with feedback so I can have a Micropic controller vary the gas production.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    I don't use a simple PWM controller per say. I use a current follower control circuit with feedback so I can have a Micropic controller vary the gas production.
    Will you share the schematic, (or block diagram,) and parts list with us?

    TIA,
    SamT

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts