Thread: Pathfinder R51 / Navara D40 diesel + HHO

Question Pathfinder R51 / Navara D40 diesel + HHO

Hey,

This is my first post here and I see quite a lot of knowledge here.

Well, just recently I installed HHO kit on my 2006 Pathfinder 2.5 dCi. There were quite a lot of mods included in hho kit and engine. For example, I cleaned engine and MAF sensor, EGR blocked, air filter changed etc.

HHO kit was purchased with DC3000 generator dry cell and a small 2 dl bubbler, which I modified with stainless steel wool on exhaust valve and drilled input hose for smaller bubbles.

Production of HHO is approx 1 lpm and with additional dryer there's probably no vapour in final product.
    KOH 15% is used as electrolyte, which is a bit higher concentration, but it is on purpose to prevent freezing.

Performance?
    Imediatelly measured my Pathy gained 10% wheel horse power and roughly same amount of torque, which is quite nice...
    ...but mileage did not improve a bit! Actually consumption increased a bit, but that might ne due to a lot of testing.

So I installed MAF sensor enhancer and played with settings some time, but all I get is lower engine ppwer and stalking when going too low and on the other side default power with no mileage improvement.

These engines do not have O2 sensor, does not have DPF nor any other sensor in exhaust. I checked it out - nothing.

Any idea what's going on?
    Is the engine too smart?
    Is HHO production too lo?
    Or is it already optimized so much by default that no furtjer improvements ar possible?

How did you perform your test?

Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    Performance?
    Imediatelly measured my Pathy gained 10% wheel horse power and roughly same amount of torque, which is quite nice...
    ...but mileage did not improve a bit! Actually consumption increased a bit, but that might ne due to a lot of testing.
    Your test for power and torque?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    Your test for power and torque?
    Well, surprisingly easy and accurate with ELM OBD2 wireless dongle, connected to my Android phone and using DashCommand app. It was accurate with stock at approx. 175 HP, then after chiptuning, high-flow air filter and EGR delete again accurate at 215-218 HP (as promissed by tunner), and now after adding HHO it's showing up to 235 HP.
    I believe those measurements are quite near actual values.

Here are some pics of my install

Here you can see the mechanical part of install. I had to remove whole Air filter assembly to gain space and mount high-flow conical air filter.
    Turbo diesel sound is like drunk godzilla snoring now, which I liked for the first 30 minutes (ou, yeah, big guy with big rig and big sound ), but after first few miles it begun annoying me as it is really ridiculously loud in the cabin, too. NOT recommended!

Here's where I noticed a problem with vacuum first. When system is cooling down, water tank produces vacuum and sucks liquid from the bubbler, despite of one-way check valve (not seen in the picture, behind metal holder).
    I am thinking about installing a breather one-way valve on the (not-yet-drilled) hole on LEFT side of water tank, so vacuum will be able to pull air through it instead through bubbler.

Here's how I modified the CHEAP bubbler, which came with my HHO kit. Originally it was designed with input on TOP and output on SIDE, which was kinda ridiculous, because the bubbler is already quite small and venting out at 2/3 of height produces quite a large possibility to suck ingredients into air intake.
    So I reversed its operation, added an L-shaped piece inside and a side-drilled plastic hose for input. So instead of large bubbles exiting tube at bottom, there are rather llots of small bubbles getting out of sides through small holes. Cleaning of HHO is (IMHO) much better that way.