+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Error p0420 after hho kit installed (ecu/o2 sensors not modified)

  1. Default Error p0420 after hho kit installed (ecu/o2 sensors not modified)

    Hi all, finnally i got my new hho kit installed on my honda stream 2.0 vtec and it seemed to work quite well beause setting the pwm at very low level it bubbles quite fast.

    Altought i havenīt had time enought to notice any power or consumption improvement the check engine error has appeared in my dashboard , the error is p0420 , i havenīt been modifying anything else like o2 sensor , i just installed the kit. Why this should this be affecting the to the cattalyst efiency??? this error becomes from the second o2 sensor , am i right???

    Thanks a lot!!!.

  2. Default

    You are producing too much gas from your kit, the 2nd o2 sensor is reading the extra oxygen and is telling your honda that it is running lean. Your engine will fix this by pushing more gas down its own throat and your efficiency will go down, you're still burning hydrogen but using more gas at the same time because of the computer. Slow that pwm down to the point that you aren't getting a code and that is good place to start.

  3. Default

    Many thanks! , i have been fiddling around many weeks and at this point the P0420 error has disappeared , new problems appeared...it is very large story i donīt want to be boring
    but at this point iīm out of battery and my PWM needs to be replaced , a new one is being shipped:

    http://hhoplusgas.com/15-30a-pwm-ele...modulator.html (opinions?)

    Everybody is kidding me about this HHO idea but ILL KEEP ON TRYING UNTIL I GET THIS WORKING AND THEN LET THEM KNOW.

    Next Steps:

    -EGT Exausht Gas Temperature install
    -O2 Sensor Extender (may be EFIE ŋ would you recomend me a cheap one?)
    -Dual Volt/Ampmeter Shunt Install (i installed without a shunt and the amperaje says its at 14 v 1,7 amps)....very low amperage to be truth, the high voltage 14v is because at iīm making tests without PWM.

    My car is an Honda Stream 2.0 (VTEC K20 Block)

    Rgrds.

  4. Default

    I do not know of a cheap unit but I know of a good wide-band unit that works very well.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2015-WID...item3a898be792

    Its not a pwm, but is an EFIE that I have used in the past and works very well at controlling the sensors. I would also look into an ultra gauge so that you can start monitoring your throttle position and teaching your foot how to use as little fuel as possible. You won't need a lot of hho for this vehicle, and if you travel in town mostly you'll need even less. Don't push your reactor, heat is not your friend.

    http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

    Make sure you're filtering that gas output in a separate bubbler, typically I make my own as I have only used one that was pre-made and it worked well enough to work for about 6 months before I needed to change the filter.
    http://www.hhokitsdirect.com/collect...-and-container

    These recommendations are what I have used in the past when I didn't build my own units, I learned everything I know from this website so everything you need should still be here but maybe 3-4 years back in the discussion log. And none of this stuff is cheap if you do it right, but if you do it right you won't have to do it again for a long time. I have been supplementing my vehicles with hydrogen by electrolysis for nearly 6 years now and have seen a good 20%-30% mileage gain when set up correctly.


    Havens

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California.
    Posts
    337

    Default You have incorrectly assesed the situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Havens78 View Post
    You are producing too much gas from your kit, the 2nd o2 sensor is reading the extra oxygen and is telling your honda that it is running lean. Your engine will fix this by pushing more gas down its own throat and your efficiency will go down, you're still burning hydrogen but using more gas at the same time because of the computer. Slow that pwm down to the point that you aren't getting a code and that is good place to start.
    The downstream O2 sensor does NOTHING to affect the engine operations.

    Also, you and others, repeatedly quote how too much HHO throws off the upstream O2 exhaust mixture. Please, clarify your thinking for the reader. HHO is a stoichiometric (balanced) mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. When it burns, it does so to a complete burn that leaves no excess oxygen for the O2 sensor to detect. So, why does HHO throw off the mixtures? Your explanation and conclusion is erroneous and incomplete.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
    The downstream O2 sensor does NOTHING to affect the engine operations.

    Also, you and others, repeatedly quote how too much HHO throws off the upstream O2 exhaust mixture. Please, clarify your thinking for the reader. HHO is a stoichiometric (balanced) mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. When it burns, it does so to a complete burn that leaves no excess oxygen for the O2 sensor to detect. So, why does HHO throw off the mixtures? Your explanation and conclusion is erroneous and incomplete.
    I am simply answering to the best of my knowledge based on the experiences that I have seen while experimenting. I do not claim to have all of the answers or do I claim to know what is happening to my engine inside the combustion chamber. I know that a complete burn will not have more oxygen, so how can my o2 sensors read too much oxygen and then give me a code? And why does that code result in more gas being spent into the engine by the computer? I don't know... but when I have in the past backed off the amount of hydrogen I am producing my gains return based on how i'm driving.

    If I am wrong on this explanation than I apologize to the tenth degree, but these were my experiences with my experiments.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California.
    Posts
    337

    Default It would help if you knew more about modern engine tuning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Havens78 View Post
    I am simply answering to the best of my knowledge based on the experiences that I have seen while experimenting. I do not claim to have all of the answers or do I claim to know what is happening to my engine inside the combustion chamber. I know that a complete burn will not have more oxygen, so how can my o2 sensors read too much oxygen and then give me a code? And why does that code result in more gas being spent into the engine by the computer? I don't know... but when I have in the past backed off the amount of hydrogen I am producing my gains return based on how i'm driving.

    If I am wrong on this explanation than I apologize to the tenth degree, but these were my experiences with my experiments.
    It is simple to use a scanner in most OBDII systems to see the O2 sensor outputs as well as the fuel trim and ignition timing. Of course, you MUST know your particular engine system to be able to decipher what is happening and what adjustments to make. This is one of the reasons HHO applications are all over the place. Sweeping answers do not take into account the different ways manufacturers handle the same situation.

    The original poster has run into this and others will too.

  8. Default

    First off all thanks for your time again!

    Sounds Very interesting to be able to use a scanner OBDII for O2 sensor and know what is really happening in the engine, i am currently using a software called "Torque" but it doesnīt output this information , do you know another software to do this?

    The Most importan point at this time is to know if O2 sensor is really detecting more O2 after HHO , so please how could i do it?? which software do you use for it??

    If Finally the answer is YES and i can prove it ill need to control Air/fuel ratio as follows:

    1.EFIE is almost the same price but doesnīt include monitoriong air/fuel ratio display

    2.Apexi VAFC piggyback ECU , doesnīt really work because finally the ECU learns and settings are not applied

    3.May be this is the best way to control and monitoring air/fuel mixture for the price:

    http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motor.../dp/B004MDT8MW

    Regards

    By the way :The error P0420 output becomes from the secondary catalyst efficiency Lambda sensor ...donīt know how can O2 affect this

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California.
    Posts
    337

    Default Torque should allow you to read your O2 sensor outputs.

    Maybe Torque Pro. But, it seems folks on Youtube are doing so.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts