Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hydrogen peroxide

apwutcook Guest

hydrogen peroxide

Anyone ever done a test including hydrogen peroxide? Just curious. I figure it is pretty cheap, readily available, and should add a little hydrogen to the mix I would think.
    I am a little hesitant to mess mine up since I just got it going.

1973dodger Guest
    Hydrogen peroxide is h2o2, not sure you want more oxygen in your system. Oxygen is what causes corrosion.

1973dodger

timetowinarace Guest
    I tried it but didn't take any measurements. By appearance it produced allot more.

djerickd Guest
    this is interesting... did you use an electrolyte in the H2O2?

Quote Originally Posted by 1973dodger View Post
    Hydrogen peroxide is h2o2, not sure you want more oxygen in your system. Oxygen is what causes corrosion.

1973dodger
    Well if you really think about it, the concentration won't be that much greater than with just your water/electrolyte solution. Plus, extra oxygen won't really hurt any, cause it is necessary for complete combustion anyhow.

Omega Guest
    Uncapped hydrogen peroxide has a very short life. Heat it up for a bit and it's "done". In other words, it won't last long enough for it to be worthwhile.

Hydrogen Peroxide - H2O2

Quote Originally Posted by apwutcook View Post
    Anyone ever done a test including hydrogen peroxide? Just curious. I figure it is pretty cheap, readily available, and should add a little hydrogen to the mix I would think.
    I am a little hesitant to mess mine up since I just got it going.
    Hey apwutcook,

The store bought stuff is 3% try the stuff "Hair Dressers" use to bleach hair it's 15-18% you can find higher percent grades but might have to answer a few questions to get it. Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 at 70-98% can be used as a rocket fuel propellant ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Be Carefull,
    Fuzzy

countryboy18 Guest
    so wat exactly does the chemical make up have to be to work as a electrolyte? and then should there be a list of the best to least chemicals to use?

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy18 View Post
    so wat exactly does the chemical make up have to be to work as a electrolyte? and then should there be a list of the best to least chemicals to use?
    Hey countryboy18,

I'm just a beginner here but the catalists used to make a electrolyte can be a acid, base or salt. I have seen things from koolaid to seawater plus the most common NaHCO3, NaOH, KOH, NaCL and vinegar take your pick, they all work some better than others depending on your cell design and personal prefrence or ECO (enviroment) conciderations.

Regards,
    Fuzzy

countryboy18 Guest
    thanks for the info! fuzzytomcat!