Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Acetone, Xylene & Torco Gp7 Trifecta??

wydopnthrtl Guest
    Acetone:
    I've found that a 2.5oz to 10 gal ratio to be best for my FI cars. In my experience get the amount up around the 3 to 3.25 range & milage will drop off.

IMO the real key to it working or not is how well the fuel is being atomized in the intake/combustion chamber. This would explain why a carburator fed engine responds so well to it.

I also think in part that the gear ratio vs TQ curve has a lot to do with it on a FI car/truck. The higher the load on a motor the more fuel is injected. The more fuel the more is wasted on a percentage basis. If you have a gear ratio and TQ that placing a low load on the motor.. you won't see much of a gain.

Rich

Dean88 Guest
    Well, I just started putting acetone in my 1980 F100 with a 300 carbed straight six that has religioiusly gotten 17 mpg and now it gets 21-23

wydopnthrtl Guest
    I tried a little experiment tonight.

I took a piece of flat glass and put a single drop of tap water, a drop of gas, and a drop of acetone on it. Observed how quickly they spread and evaporated. The water stayed in a single bead. The gas spread and slowly vaporized. The acetone very quickly spread and vaporized.

I then heated a small piece of flat glass on our stove to 360F (infared gun measured)
    Then repeated the droplets. The acetone immeadiately vaporized with just a very few small balls rolling quickly away from the center of the drop. The gas quickly vaporized but didn't really boil off like the acetone did. And the water vaporized but not all that quickly.

Then I put a drop of gas that had been mixed with a 3oz acetone to 10gal ratio on a clean part of the glass. I was supprised! Just that very small amount of acetone (added to the gas) made it vaporize & boil off in about 1/2 the time as did just the gas by itself.

I'm a firm believer in acetone for cars. However if the PCM on a modern FI car/truck is not corrected or fooled for thinking it's running lean? Mileage gains really are not very measureable.

What really made me a believer in acetone was a V8 carburated car I had. I was amazed. I did repeated ABA tests. I'd run 3-4 tanks on and 3-4 off. Then 3-4 on again and the results were always the same. It idled smoother, idled 100 rpms higher, and got a solid 3mpg better every time. I even went overboard and mixed it heavy on purpose once. I put in a 6oz to 10gal ratio just to see what would happen. The milage dropped back down to non-acetone levels and it even miss fired occasionally. Had noticeable power increase though.

Rich