Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Graphite Plates?

HomeGrown Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne View Post
    I received my graphite plates Sat. and drilled them out today. What an easy material to work with.
    What size plates, what thickness, how many, and what is the cell configuration?

Dewayne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
    What size plates, what thickness, how many, and what is the cell configuration?

I got 6 plates, they are .250"x4"x6" and the config will be +-+-+-.
    I'll be using a PWM (modulating the plates at about 28khz)
    and a EFIE along with Vacuum.

I'm baseing all this information on the works of a person that has been
    using Graphite plates for over 3 years.

Omega Guest
    I get real uneasy with ads that have numerous misspellings, as the graphite gen listing on craigslist has. The technical aspects are omitted, also.

I'll stay on the sidelines on the graphite issue until I see some concrete successes.

Dewayne Guest
    If you would like to see the draws of my design goto the listed link.

http://forum.beawindhog.com/cgi-bin/...218515372/s-0/

Omega Guest

I looked at your design; looks interesting.

I also read some of the info on the thread linked to and I'm amazed at the statements like "graphite (cells) don't make heat...", "graphite cells need to be heated", "forget neutral plates" and so forth. I would think that the electrical properties within a cell would be the same, regardless of electrode material. If current is passed through the electrolyte solution (or even water), especially without neutrals, heat is going to be a factor.

I'll follow this off shoot of the HHO world with great interest.

HomeGrown Guest

Nice drawings, Dewayne! I like the simple, robust cell design. I'm tempted to give graphite a try myself, as it has properties that are superior to stainless. Namely, lack of heat build-up and ease of machining. As long as it holds up as well as stainless, it sounds like a good concept.

Dewayne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
    Nice drawings, Dewayne! I like the simple, robust cell design. I'm tempted to give graphite a try myself, as it has properties that are superior to stainless. Namely, lack of heat build-up and ease of machining. As long as it holds up as well as stainless, it sounds like a good concept.
    In the drawing of the ABS housing you will notice I have the nylon rod touching the inside walls. This is to give the plates some stability side to side.

HomeGrown Guest
    In the drawing of the ABS housing you will notice I have the nylon rod touching the inside walls. This is to give the plates some stability side to side.

Yep, I noticed (and approved) of that.

Wire Attachment

OK Guys, Graphite appears the way to go but how DO you attach wires to it. On a miter saw I have a brush had to be replaced and I noticed the braided wire was just pushed onto a hole. Is that why beawindhog glued his wires in. Like to know if neutrals are needed. I'll look into a source for graphite.

Dewayne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltazar View Post
    OK Guys, Graphite appears the way to go but how DO you attach wires to it. On a miter saw I have a brush had to be replaced and I noticed the braided wire was just pushed onto a hole. Is that why beawindhog glued his wires in. Like to know if neutrals are needed. I'll look into a source for graphite.
    If you look at my drawing you will see two blue lines go up wards. This is 1/4" S/S threaded rod that will be going through the top of the cell and the wires will attach to them.

Graphite is rather brittle and I do not want to crack the plates. In my discussions with other people doing a physical hard connection is the easiest way.

A cheap source for graphite is noted in one of my first post in this thread.