Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Graphite Plates?

Graphite Connections

GLUE Diaelectric Glue

jjb2888 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I looked at your design; looks interesting.

I also read some of the info on the thread linked to and I'm amazed at the statements like "graphite (cells) don't make heat...", "graphite cells need to be heated", "forget neutral plates" and so forth. I would think that the electrical properties within a cell would be the same, regardless of electrode material. If current is passed through the electrolyte solution (or even water), especially without neutrals, heat is going to be a factor.

I'll follow this off shoot of the HHO world with great interest.
    That is correct. Graphite has a low resistance value meaning electricity passes through with ease. Now on the other end of the spectrum is stainless or any steel and iron which have high resistance. These types of wires are not used in homes because of the high heat they build due to the resistance they have( burn the house to the ground). Thats why copper and aluminum is used for that low resistance. Stainless is like putting your electric stove burner in the water and using for and electrode compared to graphite.

Pretty pricey stuff:

http://www.graphitestore.com/items_l.../488/cat_id/47

I would assume that this quality would work, but there is also EDM quality graphite as well. That is even more expensive. At this rate, you will start considering the future possibility of platinum (not that it's THAT expensive).

You are correct about the resistance, but electrolysis creates a certain amount of heat as well. I wonder what the resistance to electrolysis heat generation ratio would be total if tested formally?

Johnh Guest
    I Dont believe that electrolysis produces any heat at all at theoretically ideal conditions in fact some heat must be provided from the environment to expand the gasses in an ideal cell.
    Here is a simplified version of it. Much more technical papers are available if you subscribe to one of the scientific sites or go to a library
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../electrol.html
    I suspect some of the heat generated in our cells comes from the use of stainless which is nowhere near a perfect electrode
    John

Arklain Guest
    I posted this in another Forum but still applies

I am still new to this so correct me if I am wrong on anything.

I would assume that you would want to use the most Conductive Metal (low resistant) possible. This would increase your electrical efficiency and lower the amount of heat generated by resistant’s. With Copper being considered to be the best conductive metal is given an IACS of 100% (International Annealed Copper Standard, a unit of electrical conductivity for metals and alloys relative to a standard annealed copper conductor; an IACS value of 100% refers to a conductivity of 5.80 × 107 siemens per meter (58.0 MS/m).(wiki))

Silver, Pure has an IACS of 108.40%
    Aluminum and its Alloys has an IACS of 64~25%
    Stainless Steel 316 has an IACS of 2.3%.
    Graphite has an IACS of 0.22%

Now how each metal withstands the process of electrolysis is a different matter

http://www.eddy-current.com/condres.htm

Dewayne Guest
    For those of you that wonder about graphite. The attached picture is after 45 seconds in cold tap water. It's running at 12vdc @ 23 Amps. I can't run it very long as my power supply is rated at 17 Amps continious load.

I'm still researching what I want to use for a housing. Without a housing I can't measure the output.

The plate arrangmet is 6ea. 4"x6"x.25", with plate spacing at .0625. The polarity is +-+-+-.

sp1r0 Guest
    That looks awesome can you post a video? Show the electrode out of the water? Doesn't look like .0625 spacing from that pic..

Dewayne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sp1r0 View Post
    That looks awesome can you post a video? Show the electrode out of the water? Doesn't look like .0625 spacing from that pic..

How's this? As you can see the plate spacing is really .060"

This is a test setup for my plastes and in no way a finial configuration.

sp1r0 Guest
    Nice attention to detail. I guess that pic was straight DC, no PWM? Any electrolyte?

sp1r0 Guest
    So the thickness of those semiconductor plates may be the key to heat disappation. The thicker, the better when it comes to higher amps?