Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Graphite Plates?

I think the key to the heat dissipation is in the much lower resistance of graphite over stainless steel. Higher resistance = generated heat.

Well, dissipation is the wrong word here... with graphite's lower resistance, less heat is generated.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Dewayne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sp1r0 View Post
    So the thickness of those semiconductor plates may be the key to heat disappation. The thicker, the better when it comes to higher amps?
    Yes, It was straight DC, no PWM and no electrolyte. I have been using tap water but there must be something in our water as it is turning brown. I'll have to try distilled water. Could also be the cheap screws and nut I'm using also.

I chose 1/4" plates because graphite is on the brittle side and I don't want any breakage from pot holes.

I got an e-mail from the person that is mentoring me and he said to decrease the plate spacing to .015. Guess I'll have to find some nylon shims.
    He gave me some other tips but I want to try them before I post anything about it.

candyman55 Guest

Brown water

Dewayne, I think that the cause of your brown water is probably the copper wires that you have used to hook up the plates. If you are going to use wireing in the mix, unless it is some sort of stainless or graphite itself you will get brown gooey crap.

sp1r0 Guest
    I agree, i used copper wires to connect my SS316 plates to a battery and it will leach right through the stainless steel. Originally I thought maybe I had a high iron content or some other metal in the water because it looked like rust. I think if you try distilled water you will see the same results unless you use same metals/materials throughout.

sp1r0 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I think the key to the heat dissipation is in the much lower resistance of graphite over stainless steel. Higher resistance = generated heat.

Well, dissipation is the wrong word here... with graphite's lower resistance, less heat is generated.
    I think you are wrong about that. Graphite is on the bottom of the list as another member has point out in an earlier post within this same thread... Click his link.
    http://hhoforums.com/showpost.php?p=10567&postcount=25

Quote Originally Posted by sp1r0 View Post
    I think you are wrong about that. Graphite is on the bottom of the list as another member has point out in an earlier post within this same thread... Click his link.
    http://hhoforums.com/showpost.php?p=10567&postcount=25
    Hmm, that's interesting info, I was going by some posts that I'd read on other forums about graphite being less resistive and needing a cell heater as it doesn't produce any heat.

I'm also wondering, in this case, why do they use graphite rods in batteries if stainless steel is cheaper and a better conductor?

Any thoughts?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

jjb2888 Guest
    easy way to check the resistance and compare take a ss plate and graphite plate of equal size and test it with an ohm meter. This will take the speculation out of everything.

overtaker Guest
    Or possible an even distance apart on the face of both materials, say 3 inches?