Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used White Vinegar?

SmoothieV Guest

Anyone used White Vinegar?

This site says use white vinegar:

http://www.brownsgas.com/best_hho_electrolyte.html

Thoughts?

Vinegar (NEW HERE)

What I see about vinegar is the fact they are saying to use a little backing soda...It works great and it will produce alot of amps and heat and so on. I personally hate it myself. The setimate sucks. I like the idea of lye. It seems very optimal to get the most hho without the negative drawbacks of Heat and amps. Heat kills your hho. So my thoughts of vinegar it self would be great but, the baking soda... Gone through that situation before...

PAPAFIXIT Guest
    I'm useing white vinegar and distilled water, 1/4 cup per gallon, runs quite clean and bubbles burst easilly (tap water at my house turns to brown goop after 15 min.).

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PAPAFIXIT View Post
    I'm useing white vinegar and distilled water, 1/4 cup per gallon, runs quite clean and bubbles burst easilly (tap water at my house turns to brown goop after 15 min.).

Have you compared vinegar to NaOH?

BoyntonStu

HYDROTEKPRO Guest
    Don't settle for anything less than the best electrolyte. Use Potassium Hydroxide (KOH).

jimbo40 Guest
    White viniger is a pain in the rear.
    It turns dark red and then brown, people say here comes the pickle mobile.
    lots of setiment, constantly changing amps.
    After 1500 miles I just switched to sodium hydroxide and like it much better so far. produces more gas and the gas seems to pop harder.

Jim

smartHHO Guest
    From what I understand, it is mainly to keep baking soda from gunking up on the plates. Not sure about running it by itself. Normally you get your baking soda to the right amount, and add one capful of it.

Vinegar has the effect of lowering the boiling point as well. Not the best solution.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

BigTruck Guest
    I'm using white vinegar and distilled water. I agree that KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) produces better, but I think it corrodes the cell faster in the long run. Quite often, we blame the discoloring of the water on the electrolyte, but it really just the metal breaking down.

All I'm saying is rapid production can be offset by heat, amps, and corrosion problems. Max production while running cool for the long haul should be our objective.

I've also been playing with diluted ammonia and diluted hydrogen peroxide, which both have an acid base. Still testing.

hydropower KY Guest
    I have two test cells that will prove the difference between how loud of a bang the baking soda makes compared to white vinegar.I quit using it a few months back.It seems the potassium hydroxide has the vote.I started using koh and have to say it's the "bomb baby".Try the koh you'll see how much better it is.Just remeber USE CAUTION when using it.