Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Ford ZX2

michael.su Guest

Need help with Ford ZX2

Hello all,
    I've been experimenting with HHO for just a month or so with little success. I'm badly in need for some fresh Ideas.

1) My cell is running great I tried about 12 V draw first and had decent HHO production but no MPG gain.

2)I added a Dual MAF enhancer which I can only assume is working as designed because I can stall the engine or throw the "mixture too lean" code if I adjust too lean. Still no MPG change

3) added o2 extender and higher concentrate electrolyte (baking soda)
    I am now drawing 16 amps and HHO production is very high. Without having any way to check accurately I couldn't say exactly how much but compared to a lot of videos I've seen HHO production looks good.
    Still no change either way in MPG. It's exactly where it was when I started.

I have the SS plate design cell with 8 plates. I did not build it but bought it but is is well constructed.

Any Ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike

Keith's Garage Guest
    first thing, you need to make sure that the MAF enhancer is adjusted properly. Your goal is to get the mixture lean enough to save on gas but not so lean that it sets codes. You can check what the computer is doing by hooking up a scanner and watching data stream while vehicle is running. without knowing what is going on in the computer it's impossilbe to go any further.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by michael.su View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been experimenting with HHO for just a month or so with little success. I'm badly in need for some fresh Ideas.

1) My cell is running great I tried about 12 V draw first and had decent HHO production but no MPG gain.

2)I added a Dual MAF enhancer which I can only assume is working as designed because I can stall the engine or throw the "mixture too lean" code if I adjust too lean. Still no MPG change

3) added o2 extender and higher concentrate electrolyte (baking soda)
    I am now drawing 16 amps and HHO production is very high. Without having any way to check accurately I couldn't say exactly how much but compared to a lot of videos I've seen HHO production looks good.
    Still no change either way in MPG. It's exactly where it was when I started.

I have the SS plate design cell with 8 plates. I did not build it but bought it but is is well constructed.

Any Ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike

First: Do NOT use Baking Soda.

Repeat: Do NOT use Baking Soda.

Buy NaOH at Lowes (Roebic) or KOH on Ebay.

This might help:

Adding Hydroxy will LOWER MPG unless MAP/MAF enhanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvpAJ...eature=related

Great set of videos!!

Conclusion:

Hydroxy works IF it is implemented correctly.

BoyntonStu

michael.su Guest
    Good info guys. keep it coming.

About the "don't use baking soda" thing.........I have heard that a few times but everyone seems to stop short of an explanation. What's up with that?

I have NaOH but have not tried using it yet. I don't really like how Caustic it is so I figured I'd try my luck with baking soda first.

Will NaOH give me better HHO production with less power draw?

Stu, your link did not work for some reason. could you please try to post it again?

Thanks,

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    Looks like a bad link there.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aREl0-nbB0Y

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

Mucho better... Thanks
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Question

You are welcome.

What year ZX2?

What sensors are installed in your ZX2?

Are you using a resistor or a voltage type of MAF/MAP device?

How many O2 sensors are in your car?

Where do you inject the Hydroxy?

BoyntonStu

michael.su Guest
    My ZX2 is a 99'. As for sensors..... I have 2 oxygen sensors, one before the Catylytic converter and one after. The 02 sensor before the cat is the one I put the spacer on.
    I have a MAF sensor and No MAP sensor. The MAP/MAF device I have is built to Water4Gas specs, it has resisters, 2 pots and a switch for city/highway settings. Also it has a switch for original or enhanced (bypasses the pots)
    The only other sensors I can think of that my car has are a Knock sensor and an air charge temp sensor and a throttle position sensor. I'm not sure if any of these could sabotage my sabotaging..... lol
    I was also wondering if in addition to the MAF enhancer and the 02 spacer, do I need to control the 02 voltage too?
    My car also has something called variable camshaft timing or VCT. I'm not exactly sure what that consists of but it sounds a bit frightening with my knowledge of internal combustion engines.

I inject the hydroxy into the air feed tube after the air filter and the MAF sensor, just before the throttle body.

any ideas?

I'm not sure where to go from here.

-Mike

Question

Quote Originally Posted by michael.su View Post
    My ZX2 is a 99'. As for sensors..... I have 2 oxygen sensors, one before the Catylytic converter and one after. The 02 sensor before the cat is the one I put the spacer on.
    I have a MAF sensor and No MAP sensor. The MAP/MAF device I have is built to Water4Gas specs, it has resisters, 2 pots and a switch for city/highway settings. Also it has a switch for original or enhanced (bypasses the pots)
    The only other sensors I can think of that my car has are a Knock sensor and an air charge temp sensor and a throttle position sensor. I'm not sure if any of these could sabotage my sabotaging..... lol
    I was also wondering if in addition to the MAF enhancer and the 02 spacer, do I need to control the 02 voltage too?
    My car also has something called variable camshaft timing or VCT. I'm not exactly sure what that consists of but it sounds a bit frightening with my knowledge of internal combustion engines.

I inject the hydroxy into the air feed tube after the air filter and the MAF sensor, just before the throttle body.

any ideas?

I'm not sure where to go from here.

-Mike
    Mike,

Good work. Don't give up.

A suggestion; temporarily sideline MAF.

Concentrate on the O2 with voltage adjustments.

Test at 55 mph, not on acceleration, etc.

AFAIK ZX2's do not have instant MPG gauges.

Do you have a ScanGauge?

It sounds like you are capable in electronics.

Do you think it possible to hack into the OBD2 to determine instant MPG?

I suggest that you view this set of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyEQyEDaBBs

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

P.S. If yours is a 5 speed you should be getting about 27-29 MPG stock.