Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with Ford ZX2

michael.su Guest
    Stu,

I'm not ready to give up yet but I am a bit disappointed how much money and time I have put in already with no results. I'm just wondering if I have the wrong car for this. Damn Ford!

So I guess what you are saying is that I can have control over the mixture from the MAF sensor but at the end, the O2 sensor may be compensating for the adjustments I made and canceling everything out.?

By concentrating on the 02 sensor voltage......do you have a component in mind that I could use to control it or a schematic for one I could build?

I originally thought the MAF was the key to controlling everything. Is that the case with a MAP sensor? That shows you how much I know. But I'm learning.

You are correct about my car NOT having an instant MPG gauge. I've been relying on my tripometer and my fuel light to measure progress to this point. It 's pretty consistent but I have to go a full tank to really know what's going on.

I do not have a scangauge. I just have a code reader that I can check and erase codes with. At this point, I don't have the green to purchase one at $160. If I manage some gains and feel it will be beneficial I will consider getting one in the future. especially, if I decide to put electrolyzers on some of my other cars.They look cool!
    Thanks for the link. The videos were very helpful. I can use all the info I can get.

My car is a 5 speed and I figured I get around 27 MPG with the factory setup. Somewhere in the 30's would be nice
    I drive 60 miles a day.

I guess gaining control of the 02 sensor is next?

the question is..........what's the best way to do that?

EDIT: I forgot to mention: According to my calculations, I am making ~.5 LPM of Hydroxy. Is this enough production to see any results from a 2.0 liter 4 cyl?

Thanks again!

-Mike

Question

Mike,

I understand what you are saying.

Actually, the Ford ZX2 is a great car with a very good engine.

Especially the 5 speed.

A little tight under the hood, eh?

This video will show you how to get started with O2 for the least money possible, probably under $5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgHJDD6UK0A

After you fool the O2 please report back.

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

P.S.

Please expand on this sentence:

"I've been relying on my tripometer and my fuel light to measure progress to this point."

I don't follow you here.

michael.su Guest
    Very tight under the hood.... lol
    I had to put my Electrolyzer in front of the Radiator behind the bumper.

That 02 sensor is going down! hahaha
    I will definitely report back. If all goes well I will be around to help others too.

"Please expand on this sentence:

"I've been relying on my tripometer and my fuel light to measure progress to this point."

I don't follow you here. "

I set my tripometer (mile counter) every time I get gas. I know from driving the car every day that I get ~ 279 miles on a tank before the low fuel light comes on. Even though I still have some fuel in the tank it gives me a point at which to measure success without running the car out of gas.

It's surprisingly consistent too. It just takes longer to see the results than the scangauge.

smartHHO Guest
    To me doing it the old fashion way is much better. But waiting for the fuel light to come on is WAY NO GOOD on your engine. Brings up too much crap that is at the bottom of the tank and could end up clogging your fuel pump, and what not. Best idea for measure is to let the gas fill up until it clicks off. Make sure it clicked with your guage saying full on your dash. It will click off the same spot each time due to it does it when the gas is up a the spicket and there is resistance to the pump. That is why they say don't try and top off. When you do, you just get a little more in the tube and sometimes spill it out, which just costs you unneeded $.

Then do your calculations that way. Normally, you are withing .25 of a gallon, which is trivial on gas milage calculations. If you get a substaintial increase in milage, even 2mpg, you are doing something.

Good luck.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by michael.su View Post
    Very tight under the hood.... lol
    I had to put my Electrolyzer in front of the Radiator behind the bumper.

That 02 sensor is going down! hahaha
    I will definitely report back. If all goes well I will be around to help others too.

"Please expand on this sentence:

I don't follow you here. "

I set my tripometer (mile counter) every time I get gas. I know from driving the car every day that I get ~ 279 miles on a tank before the low fuel light comes on. Even though I still have some fuel in the tank it gives me a point at which to measure success without running the car out of gas.

It's surprisingly consistent too. It just takes longer to see the results than the scangauge.
    Michael,

OK That explains it.

Photos possible of your cell and installation?

BTW - OT Have you any problems (yet) with your a/c CCRM?

BoyntonStu

michael.su Guest
    I will take some photos when I get a minute and post em up.

"BTW - OT Have you any problems (yet) with your a/c CCRM?"

You are either a mechanic or a ZX2 owner ....lol

Mine crapped out a couple years ago and I wired in an external relay.

They are nuts at Ford to charge $300 for another one that will inevitably burn out also because of poor design.

Instead a standard relay costs $10 and will probably out live the car.

The folks at teamZX2 hooked me up with that fix.

michael.su Guest

Some Pictures

some Pictures as requested here:

http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?p=9423#post9423

michael.su Guest
    Ok, now I'm ready to give up.
    I bought and installed An EFIE on my pre catalytic converter O2 sensor and changed my Electrolyte to sodium hydroxide. I seem to be getting a little better Hydroxy production with less current draw and definitely less heat now, though I have not taken an accurate measurement yet. I'm going to say I'm making just over .5 LPM now.

This is the EFIE I bought:
    http://www.vadaenergy.com/products/0...fc240dual.html

According to my voltage measurement before and after, The EFIE seems to be working correctly.

My measurements before and after the MAF enhancer also seem to indicate that it is functioning properly.

I've burned almost a full tank of gas and still seem to have gained nothing.

What's left?