Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programable ECU ?

Quote Originally Posted by mtrhd440 View Post
    I have 8 on the road w/ 100-150% increases in mpg.
    What years are these cars? Are they pre OBDII?
    Mother Nature educates all of us that are teachable. She's hardest on the ones who refuse to learn. Punishment is automatic, immediate, and without pity.

MTRHD440 Sure would like to know more about your setups.
    If you can read this, Thank a Teacher!! If you can read this in English, Thank a Soldier!!
    "A Veteran is someone who, at some point in his or her life, wrote out a blank check, payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including his life."

Exclamation

ECU reprograming is definatly the best option. As far as retarding the timing, it makes sense in a scientific sort of way. Have you ever tried advancing timing in the cruise range w/HHO? I have gotten pos results by doing this. Think about it, what car ever became more efficient by retarding the timing. Of course HHO speeds up the burn, but by less mili-seconds than a timing adjustment. As far as Toyota/Honda AFR's, they can be adjusted by using resistors. These do like a timing retard, I have 8 on the road w/ 100-150% increases in mpg.

that would be a great idea since the rpms drop more wind from driving faster makes it cooler so you would be able to use more hydrogen quite possibly ill look into that type of settings what if it was configured into cruise control becuase then the settings would now have their own switch per say

ECU reprograming is definatly the best option. As far as retarding the timing, it makes sense in a scientific sort of way. Have you ever tried advancing timing in the cruise range w/HHO? I have gotten pos results by doing this. Think about it, what car ever became more efficient by retarding the timing. Of course HHO speeds up the burn, but by less mili-seconds than a timing adjustment. As far as Toyota/Honda AFR's, they can be adjusted by using resistors. These do like a timing retard, I have 8 on the road w/ 100-150% increases in mpg.
    I am a newbie here and am looking into setting up an 08 tacoma v6 4.0 litre. I am really interested in what you have on the road and the setups you have tested.

I cant believe no one has suggested the Mega Squirt ECU here http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...-kit-p-59.html I love this thing.

I looked on the internet to see if anyone posted videos using HHO with this Mega Squirt ECU. I could not find any. It seemed to be designed for experts. I was not sure what it can be sued for. It seemed to be designed for racing etc.

But if you could describe how it has worked for you and any helpful information, everyone would like to know. I think I seen it priced at $400

AHH! nonono. Someone else said in this thread knock and sand are the worst things for an engine. I'd have to agree sort of, but now with our nice knock sensors thats less of an issue, the truck I'm working on degrades 8-10 degrees stock, I could work on less if need be, you can't tune with more and every make/model ecm is a little different.

The worst possible possible thing in an engine could be water. Water = bricks in your cylinder, it doesn't compress. Think about it, you said it in your own post - HHO speeds up the burn. What happens as a result of the burn? heat and water. When you advance timing you are effectively changing the spark to flash earlier in the combustion down stroke before TDC. Cylinder pressure goes up and up. Think of it acting as if the exhaust valve "stays closed" a split second longer.... for higher octane (and higher energy) gasoline this creates a more full burn to push down the piston. You don't want to hold that water in from hydrogen, you want it to get the hell outa there. If you allow the timing to stay with advance, your knock sensor is going to pick it up, and retard as needed. It's much less efficient to run off a knock sensor because ECMs are programmed to delay timing off knock by a certain percentage of knock vs time or rpm to come back to stock. When you retard manually, you don't feel this delay after knock comes on because you're not relying on the knock sensor. Also hydrogen likes retard anyway, you're not making power or mileage with advance on HHO. Timing retard my friend, "open up" the exhaust valve earlier by delaying spark so you don't get detonation.

btw, oxygen in hho speeds up the burn a LOT. It would be similar to running hydrogen with a small inefficient supercharger, you wanna take out timing, it's not a powerful fuel and shouldn't be used as such. It does not increase octane under load in any situation ever, some people believe otherwise. Its good for low rpm cruising.

I have this extreme ridiculous doubt when you say your hondas/toyotas on the road get 100-150% better mileage. That would take an everyday small car to 80mpg+ hmm...

as to this thread, the megasquirt and hondata are ok for normal use... but not so much for the purposes of HHO or hydrogen. I mean, yes they'll let you take out timing and do this or that...

The megasquirt makes absolutely no sense for this application. It works by letting the user tune off wideband o2 sensors and an ECU in applications where there generally were none before. Like a carb to efi type thing. Or say you had a fuel injected rx7 and you threw out the rotary for a custom efi big block chevy. Problem is with hydrogen you don't want it more complicated, you want it less complicated. Carbs would be much simpler to tune hydrogen on HHO than a fuel injected engine.

The hondata is ok for certain things, but again makes no sense for this application. It basically allows you to tune your engine at higher pressures and control a wider range of tables and features than the normal honda ECM. Awesome if you want to run a turbo, completely...WHY? if you want to run HHO and increase mileage.

Two things I would recommend if you are OBDII equipped, is EFI live and HPtuners. I use HPtuners and you can control basically everything there is to control on your entire PCM. Mine is set to run speed density = no MAF sensor although I can change back and forth. If you call those mail order tuner people who use HPT and EFIlive they're going to say go to a local tuner, whose going to say you wana do what? Then charge you out the @$$. I say leave it stock unless you have the means these voltage trickery deals floating around work well enough. OBDI systems I dunno I grew up in the 90's but I'm not aware of much of that generation of tuning and proms