Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrode Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Dean88 View Post
    I am very new to this as well, but the negative plates are producing as much as the hydrogen plates because only one side of the positive plates are producing, while both sides of the negate plate are producing in the popular +nnn-nnn+ set up.

So by switchin the position of the negatives/positives you would make the negative plates only work on one side and the positive work on both sides
    The plates with the negative charge produce the hydrogen.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Dean88 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    The plates with the negative charge produce the hydrogen.
    Oops sorry about that one, guess lack of sleep can get us all.

gasmakr Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tbhavsar View Post
    Thanks;

Also check FAQ section at 'http://zerofossilfuel.googlepages.com/index.html'; He is talking about plate configuration in detail.

I have been following him for a wile...his ZOOFER cell makes some serious production!

gasmakr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Deanr3D View Post
    Disclaimer: I just got into this stuff and have only done minimal testing.

With that said, I don't understand why we use more +positive (anodes) than -negative (cathodes). For example a popular setup might be +nnn-nnn+. Wouldn't -nnn+nnn- be more effective? My reasoning is based on observation and (most likely) flawed science.

So, water has twice as many H's as O's(H2O, duh). I rigged up a simple setup using SS threaded rod and a computer power supply(12v). I noticed increased bubble buildup on the cathode, or negative, side. Wouldn't it make sense that the Hydrogen is splitting to the cathode at twice the rate of Oxygen splitting to the Anode because there's simply more of it present in water? Finally, increasing the number of Cathodes vs. Anodes(2:1 or 3:2) seems like a great way to boost hydrogen production because you get more cathode surface area, which is where the HH comes from.
    My logic is all flawed, probably. Teach me Mentors!

You are 100% right there should always be more cathodes than anodes for that exact reason.good job for picking up on that. GOLD STAR for you....my setup is
    -nn+nn-nn+nn- and it just so happens that my lucky nunber is 13 so a 13 plate setup works out just right.

Kwiksilvr Guest
    I'm new here... but I have been playing with thsi HHO for about 3 months without really understanding it...

i have been learning quite a bit over the past few months...

I just bought me some stainless steel 304 plates froma metal shop here in town... I got 2.5" X 6" plates...

I am running 13 plates in a -NN+NN-NN+NN-

I built a bubler out of pvc pipe 4" and did a simple setup. I have not tried it yet..

What I want to know is... the HHO gas is made released from the (-) negative plates right? and the oxygen is released from the (+) positieve plates?

i also understand the neutral plates help prevent heat and drops voltage?

is it better to run the configuration I am using now, or is it better to run more positives than negaitves? or is it better to do a +-+-+-+-+ or a -+-+-+-??

i understand heat is what you want to get rid of, so what would be best? I already have the plates, and they are solid, but I sanded them with a sander, then I i sanded them in 2 directions.. this should aid in releasing the gas...

my first attempt wa to run little stainless steel bowls as the positive in the center of a Stainless steel jar as the negative... what i found was that it got WAY to hot and the water dissapeared over an 80 mile trip really fast. i am assuming that is becasue it was drawing too much current... I did get 55MPG on a 4cyl kia with it though... I was extremly pleased with that, I normally get 31MPG on it... so imagine my surprise when I did the calculations and got 55MPG.. AMAZAING..

then i went back to the drawing board becasue the first one i did was a POS and it fell apart to quickly... so now i am building a more robust one. but since my first setup did not have plates, I need a little help...

I have a o2 extender and a map sensor enhancer

thanks for all the info...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiksilvr View Post
    I'm new here... but I have been playing with thsi HHO for about 3 months without really understanding it...

i have been learning quite a bit over the past few months...

I just bought me some stainless steel 304 plates froma metal shop here in town... I got 2.5" X 6" plates...

I am running 13 plates in a -NN+NN-NN+NN-

I built a bubler out of pvc pipe 4" and did a simple setup. I have not tried it yet..

What I want to know is... the HHO gas is made released from the (-) negative plates right? and the oxygen is released from the (+) positieve plates?

i also understand the neutral plates help prevent heat and drops voltage?

is it better to run the configuration I am using now, or is it better to run more positives than negaitves? or is it better to do a +-+-+-+-+ or a -+-+-+-??

i understand heat is what you want to get rid of, so what would be best? I already have the plates, and they are solid, but I sanded them with a sander, then I i sanded them in 2 directions.. this should aid in releasing the gas...

my first attempt wa to run little stainless steel bowls as the positive in the center of a Stainless steel jar as the negative... what i found was that it got WAY to hot and the water dissapeared over an 80 mile trip really fast. i am assuming that is becasue it was drawing too much current... I did get 55MPG on a 4cyl kia with it though... I was extremly pleased with that, I normally get 31MPG on it... so imagine my surprise when I did the calculations and got 55MPG.. AMAZAING..

then i went back to the drawing board becasue the first one i did was a POS and it fell apart to quickly... so now i am building a more robust one. but since my first setup did not have plates, I need a little help...

I have a o2 extender and a map sensor enhancer

thanks for all the info...
    THe "n" plates drop voltage across the cell. A +nnn-nnn+ would have a 4.5 volt drop between the + and - plates. They also take the polarity of the closest charged plate. n plates work well when you have limited space, but its better to run multiple cell is series. If you ran 5 cells configured as +-+ in a series circuit, the voltage accross each one would be about 2.8v on a 14 volt system. I dont recomend running all cells in the same container, but you can. I am currently running 4 in a 8"x8"x6" container. Congratulations on you MPG, that is a great increase.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

tbhavsar Guest
    FYI - Technically, electrolysis only need 1.24v, then rest is waste and converted in to heat. so you can have multiple cell in series in separate container to improve production.

troymacdonald Guest

9 plates - TOO HOT

So I made a 6 plate configuration this past weekend: - + - - + -. I didn't use any neutral plates and used nylon bolts and washer to space the plates. It created a fair output and got a little warm, but not scalding.

Then this evening I added 3 more plates, which put the config at:
    - + - -+ - -+-. This got so freakin' hot that it melted the plastic around the hold my negative terminal passed through in the top of the rubbermade container and melted the wire that connected to the plates.

I don't have an ammeter so I have no idea how many amps it was drawing, but I know those are not the results desired. I will say that prior to the "meltdown" it was kicking out the HHO.

so my next few questions are these:
    1. Should I keep the 9 charged plates and add a few additional neutral plates?
    - OR-
    should I revert to the 6 charged plates and use the additional three as neutral.
    2. These neutral plates, are they just additional stainless steel plates that are not wired to either a POS or NEG lead?

rzone Guest
    Before you change the configuration, try it with less electrolyte in the water.

ELECTR0N3RD Guest
    I like the +NNN-NNN+ set up only because it seems most logical, but for some reason i can not get my neutral plates to generate anything, then again my connections are not the greatest, i need some SS nuts to connect them right now theyre just floating. any suggestions?