Thread: First Cell

xtremerydz Guest

Wink First Cell

I created my first HHO cell want to use it for a torch but it back fires about 3-10 seconds after being lit. Would like to know if anyone has any info on this. My config is 4 plates 2"x3 1/2" 1/8 spacing +-+- direct hook up to DC Automotive battery. I think it may be a flow problem, flame created is a bright orange. I'm using baking soda as electrolyte about 1tsp per ltr, is that too much? Water is filtered using UV light and solid charcoal canister. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. I know this system is not automotive use rightnow. I built it small for thr purpose of using it to build a larger one.

Ronjinsan Guest
    Perhaps you are getting a gas buildup before your filtration which suddenly overcomes the resistance and backfires. Your soda is fine! Doesnt you cell get very hot using that config?

Backfire

Probably your not creating enough gas to produce a constant flow or have enough pressure to prevent the backfire. I could be wrong as I have not tried to make a torch yet. There are several good videos on Youtube concerning torches. The one I recall most talked about making the tip smaller and having to beef up production of the gas.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

xtremerydz Guest
    I'm not sure as to the heat lvl because I have not added a thermometer yet. I do know I can put my hand on the cell and it only feels warm. I did increase the lvl of water in my bubbler tourch was lit longer think i need to add more Plates to increase production.

Increase production

U could just add electrolyte unless your maxed out on the amount of amperage you can draw.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG