Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HHO injection on Diesels

JojoJaro Guest

HHO injection on Diesels

Folks, I have a 6.6L Duramax diesel.

Based on the onboard EFILive software that I have, my Equivalence Ratio is .625, which means I am already running lean. My engine has a MAF sensor but no O2 sensor.

So, if I am understanding this correctly, all I have to do is inject HHO and not worry about any electronic modifications, right? And the more HHO I can inject, the more MPG gains, correct? So, I don't need all these EFIE, O2 modifications etc, correct?

1973dodger Guest
    Yes and no. A diesel will not have an oxygen sensor, yet it will have a Map sensor. I have an 03 dodge ram w/ a 5.9 cummins, and like you have a turbo charger, so the only real choice we have, to date, is to inject our hho pre-turbo, which concerns me. My thought is the hho will dilute into the air before it reaches the intake valve, so I do think the more the better for a diesel. As to your claim, the more we make the higher the mpg, is an unknown. HHO has been around for a while now, yet there are many unknowns as to what amount is needed in respect to the many different types of engines out there. You are going to have to do like the rest of us, and just play with it. My suggestion is to not mess with the sensors until you have some more data for your particular applications. Just take it one step at a time. Hope this helps.

1973dodger

SRN Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1973dodger View Post
    Yes and no. A diesel will not have an oxygen sensor, yet it will have a Map sensor. I have an 03 dodge ram w/ a 5.9 cummins, and like you have a turbo charger, so the only real choice we have, to date, is to inject our hho pre-turbo, which concerns me. My thought is the hho will dilute into the air before it reaches the intake valve, so I do think the more the better for a diesel. As to your claim, the more we make the higher the mpg, is an unknown. HHO has been around for a while now, yet there are many unknowns as to what amount is needed in respect to the many different types of engines out there. You are going to have to do like the rest of us, and just play with it. My suggestion is to not mess with the sensors until you have some more data for your particular applications. Just take it one step at a time. Hope this helps.

1973dodger
    1973dodger

Hey buddy, I also have an 03' Cummins and am looking into adding HHO. Are you running any certain system? Results? I was looking at a pre built unit (PunchHHO), but don't know much as of now to make an informed decision. Love the diesels, just don't like filln' them up at the pump! Thanks

SRN

HYDROTEKPRO Guest

Not to promote a competitor, we just haven't had our grand opening yet.

PunchHHO, from what I hear, are good people that will back you up with support. The word is that they DO know what they're doing, and you CAN trust them.

They've got a new larger unit for trucks, I'd go with that one. And ask 'em questions, I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

If we were open, I'd say check out our systems. But I can't say that since we're not open yet.

Get the big truck unit from PunchHHO.

JojoJaro Guest
    Any suggestion on what LPM I should be aiming for the max increase in MPG.

I've heard it suggested that you do .5 LPM for every 1 liter of cylinder size. My 06 Duramax has 6.6 Liters, so I should aim for 3.3 LPM?

I'm hoping to get over 4 LPM in my design but it may not be likely and may cost a lot of amps. (and heat).

What LPM do most of the 'Truck Units' produce?

1973dodger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JojoJaro View Post
    Any suggestion on what LPM I should be aiming for the max increase in MPG.

I've heard it suggested that you do .5 LPM for every 1 liter of cylinder size. My 06 Duramax has 6.6 Liters, so I should aim for 3.3 LPM?

I'm hoping to get over 4 LPM in my design but it may not be likely and may cost a lot of amps. (and heat).

What LPM do most of the 'Truck Units' produce?
    AHHH, the question all us us have come to. I can only tell you what has not worked yet. I have tried 2lpm with a 36 amp draw, seemed to help under hyw conditions only, 4mpg better. I am currently working on a 5lpm system with the same current draw and hope to have it installed this week. If it works I'll post results, if it does'nt I want waste your time.

1973dodger

Red face

Hi to everybody,
    and I apologize for bringing up from the ashes this old topic.

Currently I am producing around 5-6 LPM with my system and inject HHO pre-turbo into my 12L VOLVO D12D diesel engine. My whole turbo charger system is redone so no air leaks are possible. My average mileage is 6.6 MPG aka 35.64 L/100km. I do not see any effect of HHO on fuel economy yet. May be not enough of HHO for my engine displacement + fuel consumption?

I am thinking of making venturi type post-turbo injection right before my air intake manifold, but max pressure the turbo pumps is 35 psi!

Any ideas or suggestions?
    VOLVO VNL 670 '04, 12L D12D engine, ODO beyond 1.1M miles. Stock 6.0 MPG. Managing up to 7.3 MPG w/o HHO Cell, w/ straight flow muffler, EGRs OFF, AirTabs, ...
    SMART HHO Dry Cell in progress: 10"x12" #20 316L 66 plates unipolar 6 stack, 200 AMP PWM, Fully monitored & controlled by .NETMF Platform. 7.33LPM @ 102A

My Youtube vIdiotics.
    FUEL ECONOMY CONVERSION TABLE & FUEL EFFICIENCY FACTORS Cheat Sheet for Truck Drivers
    CHEMICAL RESISTANCE GUIDE FOR PLASTIC AND METAL VALVES AND FITTINGS

You will not see any gain unless you reduce the amount of diesel injected. You need to replace diesel with HHO and large amounts. Unless you reduce the amount of fuel injected or produce a more powerful HHO, or add other things into the mix. your gains will be small or none at all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

Quote Originally Posted by myoldyourgold View Post
    You will not see any gain unless you reduce the amount of diesel injected. You need to replace diesel with HHO and large amounts. Unless you reduce the amount of fuel injected or produce a more powerful HHO, or add other things into the mix. your gains will be small or none at all.
    Well, the big rig HHO guys tell everybody that 1LPM for each 1 liter of engine displacement is needed. I do make 0.5 LPM for each liter of engine size now. I think I should see any fuel consumption improvement already. Also, I do have MAP sensor adjuster in place, but without right amount of HHO I cannot lean the air:fuel ratio without engine power loss.
    VOLVO VNL 670 '04, 12L D12D engine, ODO beyond 1.1M miles. Stock 6.0 MPG. Managing up to 7.3 MPG w/o HHO Cell, w/ straight flow muffler, EGRs OFF, AirTabs, ...
    SMART HHO Dry Cell in progress: 10"x12" #20 316L 66 plates unipolar 6 stack, 200 AMP PWM, Fully monitored & controlled by .NETMF Platform. 7.33LPM @ 102A

My Youtube vIdiotics.
    FUEL ECONOMY CONVERSION TABLE & FUEL EFFICIENCY FACTORS Cheat Sheet for Truck Drivers
    CHEMICAL RESISTANCE GUIDE FOR PLASTIC AND METAL VALVES AND FITTINGS

You can inject up to 16 lpm into your 12L engine and will get some real gain but without reducing the diesel injected it will not happen in fact it drops off as you increase the HHO. Your diesel is a very good running engine and there is very little waste. Have you anylized your oil since you started running HHO and compared it with when you were not running HHO? Most of the reports of large gains are just not true unless they are reducing the amount of injected diesel and replacing it with HHO. This works only up to a point without loss of HP. I have no experience with your engine so can not give you real world figures except the 16 lpm. On older inefficient engines there is gain potential because there is a lot of wastage with lots of carbon and raw diesel going out the stack with out doing anything but adding HHO.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .