Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L

Aucado Guest

1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L

I've not found much info specific to TJ's so I'm going to post what I've done. Though people should note that I'm new to HHO and mostly stumbling around.

My TJ is a '99, with a 6 cylinder, 4.0L engine. 135,000 miles. It has a Borla high-flow header (which replaced the crappy stock exhaust manifold when it cracked), but the rest of the exhaust system is stock. There are no other engine mods or alterations.

I installed a 2-cell HHO system, using the Water4Gas design. I spliced the positive lead into the the cigarette lighter's light-blue lead behind the dash board. I could not find any suitable wires inside the engine compartment (and boy did I look!) After installation, the cells were drawing 12+ volts (more like 13, but I have an analog meter), across the pair, and producing very actively.

I plugged the hose into an unused vacuum port on the side of the intake manifold, directly below the throttle body. This is very convenient!

The cells are 1 qt each, and currently using 4 tsp. of baking soda. This might be a bit much. I'll monitor the temperature of the cells and adjust accordingly.

All this I did today. No EFIE installed yet. I've ordered one, but will run the car without it for at least one full tank of gas to get get an MPG reading.

porkchop Guest
    I would try using Sodium Hydroxide. It is lye. I have heard baking soda is not ideal. I found it a Lowes. The brand name was Roebic, and is in the drain cleaners section, and is cheap. It contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide. It is the amps you really want to measure. I have a 97 Jeep G.Cherokee, 6cyl.
    I found that O2 extenders don't work, and I have been having problems when hooked to the manifold of the engine drawing in water when hooked there. You may be fine though, just keep an eye out. I installed a EFIE, that's when my mileage picked up. On my Jeep, the O2 sensor compensated for the increased oxygen due to the cleaner burn of hydrogen. I have not messed with the IAT, or MAP sensors. Just the O2. There are 2 on mine, before and after the CAT(catalytic converter). The only one you have to deal with, on my model is the one before the CAT. The one after is for monitoring the CAT, it doesn't do anything for the fuel ratio.
    My EFIE is from fuel savers, it is the single deluxe model. It is nicely packaged with test ports, on/off switch, adjusting pot, and a light to let you know it is on.
    I hope I have helped, all this information is just what I have found is working for me. I am not a rocket scientist, but then again not dummy.

Aucado Guest
    Porkchop, Thanks for the info. I'll definately keep it in mind. My jeep is sort of a project to prove to my father (a lawyer) that just because big auto isn't putting these things on cars doesn't mean they don't work. So I have to carefully go through each step and document what works and how much. I'll be putting the EFIE on next, seeing what it does, and if it inceases MPG, then I'll have to run the EFIE without the HHO to prove that the EFIE alone does not cause the increase,etc.

What's the safety of Sodium Hydroxide?

porkchop Guest
    It is supposed to work better. I have not did any experiments myself.
    I read on this forum somewhere that you shoudn't use baking soda ( i forgot why)
    I have read that a few other places too.
    It works well for me.
    Big auto has other things they know about that they are not putting in cars, like fuel vaporization (hot)
    There are things out there that would increase gas mileage, but oil companies stop it from surfacing through their channels of influence.

Aucado Guest
    Sunday I installed the Fuel-Saver EFIE Deluxe. I started with an initial adjustment of .200V. After about 100 miles of driving I had no noticeable change in my millage (17.84 MPG). After filling the tank I adjusted the EFIE to .400V and will check mileage again after more driving.

porkchop Guest
    I have mine at .04. It didn't seem to help mine until it was set that low. i don't know why, but it does better there.

Aucado Guest
    40 milliVolts? Huh. Well, if 400mV doesn't work, then I'll try 40mV

Aucado Guest
    I just stopped by a gas station to top off my tank after 56.6 miles. It took 2.333 gallons, which works out to 24.26 MPG. That's a 6.42 MPG increase over my last test!

Since that accounts for less than a 1/4 tank, I'm going to now run a full tank, until the light comes on and check my mileage again.

fuelcommander Guest
    i only run baking soda, its the safest and produces the most. Lye is dangerous. I have no problems running baking soda and ive been doing this for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fuelcommander View Post
    i only run baking soda, its the safest and produces the most. Lye is dangerous. I have no problems running baking soda and ive been doing this for 2 years.
    The baking soda by product in HHO gens is chlorine. Which one is more dangerous?