Quote Originally Posted by Johnh View Post
Got to agree with the last post, The gasses are released in the 2:1 ratio when the water molecules are broken, seeing we need a balanced ratio of water molecules on each plate then it make sense to have the same area on each side.

As far as plate size is concerned Amp loading is definitely proven to be a limiting factor in hydrogen generation.

From "The chemistry and Manufature of hydrogen" P Litherland Teed 1919 the usual amp loading in commercial electrolysers of the day with iron plates was between 15 and 30 Amps per sq ft. With modern electrolysers with stainless or nickel plates this has been increased, its hard to pin a figure down because its commercially sensitive but it seems a practical limit is about .1amp/Sq cm or 93 amps per sq ft. Much higher current densitys are being touted for nano particle electrodes Quantum Sphere are quoting 1.2 Amps / sq cm for their nano nickel elctrodes so 1100Amps / sq ft.
quantum electrodes (PDF)

The .1Amp /Sq cm seems to be about right for what I have made But to get up there without excess heat everything has to be right. From my experience 1mm plate spacing is too close with the amount of gas generated at high amp loading, but there may be ways around this.

Regards
John
Thanks John for sharing that PDF. The info on the efficiency vs. Cell voltage was VERY interesting to me. It looks like ideal voltage is between 1.3V and 2.0V per cell.