Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does size matter?

Sparkie Guest

Cool Does size matter?

Right, now that I have your attention.

Lets say we have this configuration.

+nnn-nnn+ Stainless steel 316 grade. Same electrolyte for this scenario, be it sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide or baking soda.

Now we are successfully pumping 15A@13.8V through the plates and they are spaced 1mm apart.
    Now my question is this.
    Would making the plates a foot square versus 6 inches square make a difference to the amount of hydrogen being created?
    I say no because it is the amount of current being passed which creates the hydrogen....but I could be wrong.
    Also what about the thickness of the metal? would it make a difference.
    Someone said after a few experiments .9mm 316 stainless was the best producer for him.

I put it to the you...the avid hydrogen creators of this forum...what do you think?

Ronjinsan Guest
    I think...you answered your own questions admirably!

production

I think more surface area would help some because one of the major limiting factors on production is that the bubbles stick to the plates which causes the plates to loose surface area for production. It is documented on the web that part of the efficiency lost is due to bubbles not releasing from the plates. check out this patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7014740.html. Its my opinion that making the plates larger will yield better production.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Sparkie Guest

Angry That was a waste of time!

I have finally set up a decent ammeter although its range is only 20A.
    Turns out I am producing about half a liter of HHO per minute at 20A.
    Not good enough by any means.Imagine the current draw at 1LPM of HHO.
    I am running +NNN-NNN+ a nine plate arrangement and the plates are 143mm deep by 66mm wide and 1mm apart. needles to say I am a bit disappointed.
    I must admit I have not insulated the 1/4" stainless steel supply rods yet or used a decent electrolyte. Damn baking soda is getting to hot for my liking.
    Can't wait for my Potassium hydroxide to turn up.
    I might try a smack booster arrangement next. Except I will use my 316 Stainless without the bent edges as I cannot purchase those wall plates here in Aussie land.
    Maybe I need to paint the edges with something to prevent current leakage as well.
    I need to stay under my 30A self imposed limit for this.
    I guess this is what it is all about...trial and error.
    has anyone looked at those Alexis cells yet. 2.2LPM at 18A sounds too good to be true.

Hydroginist Guest

Setup

I'm not big on the neutral plate thing.

One thing I do know is that the more N's the more HHO

Hydrogen is made on the negative side so you need to have -nn+nn-

every n drops your cell volts and amps down by about 1.5 to 2 volt and proportional current each. Spacing also effects this.

Good luck.

gasmakr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronjinsan View Post
    I think...you answered your own questions admirably!
    Ron your 2 funny......

gasmakr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydroginist View Post

every n drops your cell volts and amps down by about 1.5 to 2 volt and proportional current each. Spacing also effects this.

Good luck.
    Hydro is right hydrogen is made on the neg. plate and the oxy is made on the pos. from my exp. the more neg the better

airdude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydroginist View Post

Good luck.
    Now don't take this wrong. You say you aren't big on the Neutral plate thing and the next sentence you say that the more N's = more HHO. 'N' and 'n' being the same thing, you lost me.

HHOWolfen Guest
    neither H or O are 'made', 2 H and 1 O are bound in one mole, you collect the products of cracking the mole into it's constituent parts, 2 H and 1 O, which are attracted to their appropriate poles, and the released into the medium. if your plates are too close together, the bubbles get bound between the poles, sticking like a balloon between two boards.

Johnh Guest
    Got to agree with the last post, The gasses are released in the 2:1 ratio when the water molecules are broken, seeing we need a balanced ratio of water molecules on each plate then it make sense to have the same area on each side.

As far as plate size is concerned Amp loading is definitely proven to be a limiting factor in hydrogen generation.

From "The chemistry and Manufature of hydrogen" P Litherland Teed 1919 the usual amp loading in commercial electrolysers of the day with iron plates was between 15 and 30 Amps per sq ft. With modern electrolysers with stainless or nickel plates this has been increased, its hard to pin a figure down because its commercially sensitive but it seems a practical limit is about .1amp/Sq cm or 93 amps per sq ft. Much higher current densitys are being touted for nano particle electrodes Quantum Sphere are quoting 1.2 Amps / sq cm for their nano nickel elctrodes so 1100Amps / sq ft.
    quantum electrodes (PDF)

The .1Amp /Sq cm seems to be about right for what I have made But to get up there without excess heat everything has to be right. From my experience 1mm plate spacing is too close with the amount of gas generated at high amp loading, but there may be ways around this.

Regards
    John