Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Does size matter?

c02cutter Guest
    The biggest issue is yes as you say space, but also manufactural possibilities of the person building, as I said, possible, but not something done without the proper equipment The biggest issue is yes as you say space, but also infrastructural possibilities of the person building, as I said, possible, but not something done without the proper equipment and I will add engineering. Still think and know from what I see, he has what it take to pull it all off.

daveinsingapore Guest

cones/funnels-tubes or plates, sounds like someones kitchen..

Quote Originally Posted by JojoJaro View Post
    Yes, theoritically I suppose, tubes do offer more area, but only if you can really pack them tight together. Many tube designs simply do not do that.

Plates, you can customize to the size of your container and pack them tight.

I believe cones/funnels have the best 'Surface Area to Size' ratio. I am thinking of a design that will pack 480 sq.in of area into an 11" X 3" cylinder. I'd like to see a design that can achieve this level of density.
    Having looked and studied HHO for the last 4 months and having taken note of all the developments over the last couple of years, there is a lot to be learnt. Yes surface area of the anode and cathode - no matter what shape they are...is the one of controlling factors to good quantity HHO production. Lets take a standard size container and consider the surface area possible from several differing styles of plates, tubes and other designs.

Using a 4 inch tube as a container, and building a electrode pack 8 inches high...you could use 16 guage plates (1.6mm) x 3" wide x 8" deep. If you jam in the most in 25 of them - you can set the plates 1/16" (1.5mm) inch apart and create 4 sets of 6 cell units in parallel - each set comprising of -NNNNN+, with these 4 sets sharing either the + or the -, looking something like this... -NNNNN+NNNNN-NNNNN+NNNNN-, you would have a 2 volt drop between each plate. Understand we are looking at the 'active' surface area, that is between the plates...we end up with 48 surfaces of 3"x8" = 1152 sq"

Now if you use 3" discs set 1/16 apart...area per disc would be 7.07 sq" per side, 14.14 sq", and 11 sets of 6 plates would use 66 discs, set up as 11 units in parallel and giving a surface area of 919 sq". You could push the disc size up to 3 1/2" and get 1250 sq" for 66 discs.

When you look at cylinderical pipes/tubes considering what is available in tube/pipe sizes - lets look at .065 wall thickness, and available sizes of 3-1/2",3", 2-1/2", 2", 1-1/2" 1" and 1/2". I have worked with these tubes before and know what they are like...(part of my past life as a machinest-toolmaker)...the areas of the external and internal are slightly different but I can calculate them easily enough....totally you will get 583 sq" using 8" long tubes....sort of dissapointing really even though it would look really good, of course that was using a 1/2" as the inner-most tube that could be a shaft....however if you used a 4" stainless tube as the external housing and a negative electrode and not include the 1/2" tube/shaft you could end up with 733.8 sq" of surface area.
    Note how ever - that you do get a discrepancy of balanced electrode surface areas when comparing the inner surface of the 4" outer tube and the external surface area of the 1" innermost tube...their surface areas are 97.26sq" and 25.13sq" respectively. There has been some discussion on this anomoly....but I do know that a lot people like this basic tube design. Note I am looking at these designs with 7 elements to give a 2 volt drop across each of the pair of electrodes...and mostly in a -NNNNN+ configuration.

Then there is the spirals....whether of not you use 1/16 wire, or 1/4 rod...it does not mean you will ever get enough area....I had done some calculations but gave up because there are so many variables...how many spirals to the inch, what diameter...etc...

and then there are the funnels....well how much area do each of those stainless sauce bowls have guys...I do not know cause I tend to not work that much with kitchen utensils when trying to make something that will work well in the garage....but it would be fun to have someone give us figures on the surface area these funnels/sauce bowls have....till then..go figure...we are after maximum surface area here right....well let the numbers do the talking....ciao for now...

JojoJaro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinsingapore View Post
    and then there are the funnels....well how much area do each of those stainless sauce bowls have guys...I do not know cause I tend to not work that much with kitchen utensils when trying to make something that will work well in the garage....but it would be fun to have someone give us figures on the surface area these funnels/sauce bowls have....till then..go figure...we are after maximum surface area here right....well let the numbers do the talking....ciao for now...
    The funnels I am working on (not the sauce bowls) are 10 sq in per side. I stack 25. This makes the height 10.5". Diameter is 3". Total square area is 480 sq in.

sp1r0 Guest
    How about spirals inside of tubes... Now your talkin.