Folks, I am starting this thread to try to really get a good understanding of what makes a cell produce.

If I am understanding this correctly, current is the factor that affects production. The more current the more gas. Surface area will only come into consideration as it pertains to the 'Current Density'.

I've read that you should not exceed a current density of .5 Amps per sq. in. So, if your surface area does not exceed this current density, wouldn't surface area be irrelevant?

For example. If you have a surface area of 10 sq. in. You should not exceed 5 amps per the density rule. The question is, will you produce more by increasing your surface area to 20 sq.in. while maintaining current at 5 amps.

To me, having 20 sq.in. only means that I can increase my current to 10 amps thereby increasing my production. So, the benefit of size only comes into play as it allows me to pump more current. I don't believe there is anything inherently beneficial to surface area, only as it allows me to have more current.

Am I correct in my analysis?