Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Results

BDP29 Guest

Question Lack of Results

I've built several cells that produce very efficiently. The most recent 13.9 volts, 32 amps, 110F operating temperature at 2 hrs continuous running, producing 1.4 lpm. I installed the cell in a 1963 Ford (w/ a small block V-8) to avoid any electronic issues of the new cars.
    Everything works fine. So I decide to do a road test for mileage savings. I used the exact amounts of gas , went on the highway , traveling the same route up and back at same speed . One round trip w/ the cell running and one trip w/out.
    There is no mileage savings. Is anyone getting any results? What am I missing?
    Thanks

smartHHO Guest
    Ok, here is some tid bit of info that you might of forgot. You now don't have the electronics adjusting the amount of gas going into the car. you have the set screws where you adjust the car to run rich or lean. So, if you just add HHO, you have not adjusted the gas input to the carb. So, my reccomendation would be, keep the numbers that you got from the run without HHO. Then, start up the HHO, and try tweaking the carb for a leaner gas. I could be wrong, but that is pretty much what fooling the O2 does for the gas imput on the newer cars. Hope that helps.

sp1r0 Guest
    Remember running your engine lean heats up the engine more. Keep an eye on your coolant temp... Some people say HHO, since it recombines into water when ignited, cools down the burn but on the flip side hydrogen burns hotter. Keep us posted on your MPG and heat issues. Good luck!

timetowinarace Guest
    I would tend to think you should have seen a difference without leaning out the mix. (hho in the newer cars makes the sencors see a lean condition and they compensate by adding fuel making it rich. Messing with O2 sencors is an attempt to stop that compensation, not to lean out the fuel)

I would be curious to know the condition of the motor. Is it in good running condition?

BDP29 Guest
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to lean it a little and retest.

Some older engines are pretty efficient as they have not been dumbed down with all the smog controll items. Therefor it is possible that you need more HHO. Also, how sure are you that the HHO is making it to your cylinders?
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Walt Guest
    Before you see a lot of results you have to lean down the carb (as stated before). I have seen old quadrapukes with mixture screws that would not effect anything. Is the carb old? Also where are you injecting the HHo? If you are pre manifold you might be loosing the HHO before it gets sucked down into the engine. Another thing to look at if mileage is your main goal and performance is not so much is the timing, especialy if you are content to run at lower RPMs with a soft foot.

Walt

buffordboy23 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sp1r0 View Post
    Remember running your engine lean heats up the engine more.
    I disagree because the amount of hydrogen relative to the other gases in the cylinder is very small. In general, the engine should run cooler instead. A lean mixture means a greater quantity of air in the engine cylinders. Therefore, more heat will be absorbed by the gases for expansion, and less heat is transferred to the cylinder walls of the engine.

Running your engine lean does pose risks, such as pre-ignition and knocking. Hydrogen addition to an ICE engine, if in sufficient quantities, is what allows one to operate lean without the large fear of such risks, so be careful that you do not lean out the mixture too much at first.

smartHHO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by timetowinarace View Post
    I would tend to think you should have seen a difference without leaning out the mix. (hho in the newer cars makes the sencors see a lean condition and they compensate by adding fuel making it rich. Messing with O2 sencors is an attempt to stop that compensation, not to lean out the fuel)

I would be curious to know the condition of the motor. Is it in good running condition?

He might see a difference in Horsepower, but I doubt that he would see the MPG go up. And yes, the O2 sensor does dump more fuel or lessen it when the voltages are changed. One reason for the O2 sensor is to make sure that the O2 stays constant. Thus if the sensor detects too much O2 then it thinks it's running to lean so dumps more fuel thus not gaining any MPG. So, we put on our O2 adjustment devices, tweak it until we get our nice results without burning up the car. So, since this car is 1963, and only has a carb, and screws, and timing, thus you have to get out the monkey wrenchs and tune the flow into the carb yourself. No smart computer doing it for you.

timetowinarace Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smartHHO View Post
    He might see a difference in Horsepower, but I doubt that he would see the MPG go up. And yes, the O2 sensor does dump more fuel or lessen it when the voltages are changed. One reason for the O2 sensor is to make sure that the O2 stays constant. Thus if the sensor detects too much O2 then it thinks it's running to lean so dumps more fuel thus not gaining any MPG. So, we put on our O2 adjustment devices, tweak it until we get our nice results without burning up the car. So, since this car is 1963, and only has a carb, and screws, and timing, thus you have to get out the monkey wrenchs and tune the flow into the carb yourself. No smart computer doing it for you.
    Most people see an initial increase in MPG when they first install their hho units. The ecu has not detected or corrected for a lean condition so at this point fueling has not changed. The initial mpg increase is with the normal a/f ratio. Only after the ecu has compensated for the percieved lean condition does mpg's go back to normal or get worse. Therefore, I have to believe that there needn't be any leaning out of a non ecu engine to see mpg gains. If he was producing much more hho than he is I would agree with you. But for an old small block ford, 1.5L of hho is not allot. A slight retard of the ignition timing might help a little.

As the race car sitting in my driveway is holding a Ford 351W in it, I would hope I know something about old school engine tuning. I don't recomend leaning the carb at this point unless the truck is running rich to begin with.